3DCoat Forums

Displacement maps as textures for 3D printing?

ChickenNuggets

Hey Guys!

I'm totally new to modelling and 3d Coat is probably far in excess of what I actually need... but..... I love 3d printing and I'd like to apply some textures to prints I make so that they look a little more realistic. For instance, if I print a gun stock I could apply a wood grain texture and then paint it to look like wood, or a stone texture to make a wall look like stone, etc. I downloaded the demo and imported a STL I have and applied a wood grain displacement map. It looks great in 3D Coat (too good probably.. .likely would never achieve that detail on my printer). However, when I go to export it (from the demo), it exports to a stl file that is only 1KB and won't open in anything.

So a few questions:

1. Can I export STLs with applied displacement maps from the demo? I was thinking maybe the export is disabled for the demo or something. If so, how to do this? I was using the "Export for 3d printing" option.

2. My needs are pretty small. I just want to model very basic things and apply textures I take with my camera to those items for 3d printing? Is 3D coat overkill for me?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...