3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Few questions of newbie (bridging 2 edge loops, inability to select in retopo, wrong model scale)

nameless

1. So I've imported sketchup model to 3dc and wanted to clean up. The top face had lot of random small triangles, so I deleted them by brush slect/del key, but it leaves a hole. In blender, I'd just select two edge loops and bridge. However, in 3dc, not only I can't make edge loops (select edge, press L, nothing happens, but R for ring select works), but I can't find bridge option - I found Cap, but it seems to be suited for closing simple holes (with nothing inside)

148405878766.jpg

I've attached .obj file if anyone would like to check personally

2. Another question is retopology and selecting edges. When importing mesh for retopology, 3dc gives you 4 options, 3 of which seem to be automatic and give me no possibility to select edges (with Select tool enabled). I'm confused. The option where 3dc doesn't retopo automatically and lets you do work manually, is where I can actually select edges and work on them. I thought I could refine manually on those 3 auto retopo options?

3. When importing, sometimes model is so small that can't be seen on viewport, is there a way to tell 3dc to scale automatically to fit viewport?

untitled.obj

4. Forgot to ask, when I apply smart shader with dirts/scratches that rely on curvature map, can I manually refine them with brush? I know I can adjust those with sliders in smart shader parameters, but I want to use brush. Or do I have to rely on external painting software like subst. painter?

Hi !

We have been asking Andrew for a bridge type of tool to join polygon strips.

Andrew at one time say he would like to add more modeling tools in the retopo but for right now, the Paint room updates are on the front list.

In 3D-coat you can "drag" new faces from edges and weld them automatically when they meet vertices. The tool is called Quads Tool and here's an example how it works: https://youtu.be/6-hsouZQqOY?t=1m11s So basically it's a way to extrude edges pretty fast and it's great for strip modeling.

Quads.jpg

----------------------

Added on newest versions:

Bridge Tool under

Selected > Bridge

Bridge.jpg

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Few questions of newbie (bridging 2 edge loops, inability to select in retopo, wrong model scale)