3DCoat Forums

Stacked Plate Look

EvilMP

I was wondering if anybody could give me an idea or a tutorial of how to create that stacked plated looking armor. For example I wanted to work on a head of one of the Anubis guards from Stargate. I just don't understand how to do that layering effect down the front of the neck. I have attached a reference image so you can see what I am talking about on the front of the neck. Any information on how to do this process would be greatly appreciated. 

61e33646ae6eb7eb7ab97498a446e108.jpg

• Contributor

Probably the best approach would be to create a base form to build upon (smoothed out and "filled" - with the fill tool - default voxel bust sculpture should do the trick) and then switch to retopo room to create your plates (with subdivs in mind). You can use extrude tools to modify offset of selected faces and shell tool to add thickness to surfaces when you're done shaping the plates. Then, back in the sculpt room, enter the import tool and click "pick from retopo". Subdivide your objects a couple of times, choose "import without voxelization" and apply.

Edited by ajz3d