3DCoat Forums

Groups and/or material workflow

Karsten

hello,

I am totally new to 3D Coat 4.7 right now and this is one (of many) questions, I have:

Is there something like polygroups or materials, like in other 3D apps? For example, I want to sculpt a rock and have some other objects stick into/out of it.

Now, I want the rock and other objects to be different, separate materials. I also like to name them, so I can use this later, in other workflows (like unwarp by material(name) or

polygroup and even bake by material and so on. how can I archieve this in 3D Coat? Maybe it´s easy, but like I said - I am totally new to it :)

Best Regards,

Karsten

• Reputable Contributor

This would be best to post under the New User's thread as it is general questions on the features of 3DC.

No polygroups as in ZBrush but I believe yes to the rest... 

You can have layers in the Sculpt room, Matching Retopo Object layers in the retopo room. The retopo  layers will become your surface materials once baked to the paint room. Naming convention is important here. Name your Sculpt room layers and your retopo object layers the same. There is a reason for this when baking so you do not get occluded surfaces.  

Many more details of the workflow can be added but too much to type. 

Here is a link if you have not seen these videos. Now he only creates one layer in the tutorial series but you will see the workflow. 

The reason for the naming convention. Start at 3:55. Of course the whole video is worth a watch.

3DC's Playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PILGWAY3DCoat/playlists

Edited by digman