3DCoat Forums

3DC-Printing - New User Question(s)

Lobby

Hi Folks,

Many of my jeweler CAD friends have recommended that I buy 3DC, yet I haven't.   Now I find that a reduced capability option (3DC-Printing) has been created, with the tools most jewelers would use to prepare their files for printing.

I've just purchased it.   But it appears one of the features from 3DC that's missing is importing while keeping the Rhino file's layer structure.

Here's the export screen from my Rhino file:

i-SCqh4Zn-L.jpg

Here's the full version 3DC import screen.  Note the option to "merge to separate volumes"

i-d4WZ66K-M.jpg

Here's the import screen off my 3DC-Printing.   The "Merge to separate volumes" is not available.

i-SvGj4MC-L.jpg

Am I doing something wrong?   Is there a way to keep separate layers when I import these obj files?    I suppose I can import each layer separately, but it would be convenient not to have to.  Oh, the reason this is important to me is so that I can perform booleans with the separate layers

Gracias, Carlos.  

That's closer to what I wanted, but it's not quite there.   One of the layers in Rhino that I exported was an arranged group of several polysurfaces; the other layer was only 1 piece.   The suggestions you made turned each piece into its own layer.   Now I have too many layers in 3DCPrinting.    I wanted to transfer over the Layers I had created in Rhino

It's a strange thing.   As I looked through the "File" menu, there was no Export option. 

I then looked through all the other top menu options.  Then I looked again at the File menu, and the Export option was there.   Strange.   Also, the "Symmetry" top menu option is now available;  it wasn't initially.

Version 3DC-printing v1.1.04  

This 3DC-Printing software is a new product.   I figured that many purchasers would be like me, new to 3DCoat.   And the perhaps the answers to my questions here on this forum would of value to them also.

Perhaps there will be a 3DCPrinting subforum started on this site?