3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Need poly reduction help

TrevorD

Hi, I have tried several times today to get this image to create a flat mesh that I can work with. I am getting extremely frustrated, as the meshes the Image to Mesh creates is alway excessively high in poly count, regardless of the image size/resolution that I use. I can honestly just make a very low poly instrument faster than I have created a flat practical mesh. I love the painting aspects of 3dC, but the modeling bit is wearing me thin :)

I go to move into the retop room to try and reduce things, then I cant see any oblect to resize. extremely stuck on this and can't find a quick answer in the forums quick search.

Thanks anyone.

did a quick import into Hexagon to show the polys. This mesh was made from an image only 24 x 50 px @4 dpi. Same result as 1000 x 1000 px @300 dpi (only comp slowed right down trying to make it)

cello-52-min.bmp

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by TrevorD
example image of lots of poly's

Hi

Yes, the best way is to retopo the model created with Image to Mesh.

I used scale 200 to make it better for autotopo.

Next Symmetrical copy command to make it similar on both sides (was not originally).

Then autotopo -this are my settings-

I am adding the project too, if you like to take a look.

Hope this help.

imagetomesh.jpg

autotopo.jpg

cello.zip

Result = 10048 verts

result.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! That looks far better than anything I was getting. Thank you Carlosan. I will go back and repeat this process a few times with several shapes I was hoping to try. I was playing with a cleff image today and was getting some good results. But was still high in polys but not as bad. This will be helpful.

Thank you again.

cleff01.jpg

Yeah, that was great info. It allowed me to find the Auto-Retop guide and have it downloaded and handy. Making sense of how to use this feature is leaps and bounds for me. I just couldn't get my head around it til this example. Awesome. Making a whole lot of sense now getting the mesh looking the way I was trying to - they're rectangular! ...and even! :)

• Like 1

Yup. Now we're cookin'with gas! I got the shape you demonstrated. had some deformations as you indicated due to the shape not being symetrical. But the final mesh was enough to export (into famalia teritory), cut in half, tidy up and weld two perfect halves together. Got the lid I wanted all day! :)

CelloTop.jpg

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Need poly reduction help