3DCoat Forums

Tips for Dense Scanned Mesh?

BenR

Hello, I'm brand new at this.

I have used Meshroom to generate geometry from photographs.  I have a rather noisy mesh. 

For starters, here is where I am: 

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZooVC1B

From the launch window, I chose "repair scanned mesh".  I used "Import as a surface" because that seemed to best fit my needs, and have been able to use the "Cut Off" and "Poly Remove" tools to clean it up a lot, which is pretty exciting.  I ran "MeshDoctor" with the default settings and that didn't seem to do anything I could notice.  I ran "Reconstruct" on a test surface (top right quadrant, you can see the mesh become regular) and that did what I expected.  I ran "Reconstruct" on some more geometry and it was all deleted.

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of where to go next.  My ultimate goal is to take measurements and extract geometry, but I would like to learn as much as possible along the way.

Thank you!

Hi 

Please check this tutorial.

Did you use the Load Model command first ?

You can pan, zoom and orbit the mouse using the LMB, scroll wheel and MMB respectively.  More detail in the point cloud will fill in as the process runs.  Once it completes successfully, you will see a button Load Model.

You can now preview the results of your effort!

FinalGif

Ah thank you.  I first checked out Meshroom when the tech sites picked up on it, and documentation was scarce (or so I thought) .  

I went back into Meshroom and hit "load model" and got a noisy model.  It looks kind of like the video thumbnail at the bottom of the tutorial you have linked me to. 

I understand this is not the best source of data, but I have been able to use Modo to get something reasonable out of it.  

I was hoping I could use 3d Coat to help with cleaning it up, it does have a launch menu item called "Repair Scanned Mesh" after all :)

Hello, sorry, I scanned through the videos and missed the relevant parts.  I have watched the videos completely now.  They are useful.  I have a problem where I can't cut polygons in 3d-coat because it says they are "self intersecting".  I tried the Geometry -> Remove Self Intersections" command.  It asked me if I wanted to "Freeze Only Surfaces" and my machine has been working non-stop for about half an hour.  I think I will try using Blender to do more of the polygon cleanup.

I ended up using Blender to cut the geometry first.  Also I should have used "remove poly" instead of "cut" 

I'm moving forward, I got stuck on being unable to select polygons from their "back" side, I posed a separate thread on that.  I could switch to blender, but I'd like to know more about polygon and selection in general in 3d-Coat.  

For example, the cursor seems to always have a red "hump" in it.  The tutorial shows how you can change the hump size to affect normal mapping.  Does the hump affect other tools?  Can it change the intensity of the "Clean Clay" tool?  (I know it does not, but that might be a good feature)

Also, I typed up notes on each video.  Do you think it would be a problem if I posted my summaries into the video comments, to help other people?

Thank you!