3DCoat Forums

When Does "Export" Options Panel Appear?

bateleur

Hi all,

I'm a new 3DCoat user - loving it so far - and have a very elementary question which somehow neither the help files nor several previous forum posts on the subject have managed to answer...

Starting in 3DCoat, I sculpted a high poly model in the Sculpt room, moved to the Retopo room to make a low poly version, moved to the paint room to paint my model and then exported it. A very helpful options panel appeared which gave me lots of control over what I wanted to export. After export I loaded my exported model (into Unity, but that's not important) and all worked perfectly. Hurrah!

Then, a few days later, I made a second model using the same workflow. This time when I choose "File > Export Objects and Textures" from Paint mode, the Options panel does NOT appear. I get an dialog about reducing poly count which appears to be working with the high poly version (no thanks - I'm trying to export the low poly version) and the textures are not exported at all.

Other threads about this problem have talked about exporting things from other rooms or other ways of working around this, but the way it already works is perfect for me, I just want to know what it is that determines whether I get the Export options panel, so that I can make sure I meet the required criteria and it always appears. Thanks!

(In case it makes any difference, I'm using v4.9.12 and have the paid version.)

Hi 

When made a second model, you sculpt it, moved to retopo  to make lowpoly version, mark seams, unwrap then bake before move to paint room ?

May be you are polypainting the sculpt surface model in Paint room, that is possible too. Without UVmaps textures cant be applied.

Yes, your description of what I did is correct.

May be you are polypainting the sculpt surface model in Paint room, that is possible too.

OK, so if that's what has gone wrong, what can I do about it? I have a low poly version in the retopo room and I've marked seams and UV mapped it successfully (I know, because I can see the map in the relevant panel).

Also, is there somewhere I can submit this as a bug/misfeature? It keeps tripping people up, so I think 3DCoat should probably alert the user or provide an explicit choice. Just silently failing to open the options panel is evidently confusing.

Sure, you can at support@3dcoat.com

Try this:

Paint Room

View > Show voxels in Paint Room, switch it off

Open Windows > Panels > Paint Objects, is the low poly model listed ?

Can you see the low poly model with textures baked ?

Many thanks - those steps enabled me to fix the problem. :-)

I did not see the low poly model in the list, so I redid the bake and it appeared. I'm still not sure why it wasn't there, since I'd already baked it, but I can now experiment and if I can work out what caused the problem in the first place I'll email support with a suggestion for how to nudge other new users away from my mistake.

• Like 1