3DCoat Forums

Using the Vox Layer Tool

MatCreator

• Advanced Member

Hello all... Is there a way to use the Vox layer Tool and NOT have thickness applied? I would like to create a skin that doesnt have volume, better suited as cloth which i understand does lave "thickness", but relative. It would be nice to create simple shells that i could manipulate rather than having to remove the thickness with all kinds of tricks. When you set thickness to zero, nothing happens, either voxel or surface mode.

• Advanced Member

Hi there , this is not a direct answer..and might not suit your needs.

The way I sort of do stuff like this is go to the retopo room ( are they called rooms? Im never sure) retopo your sculpt to suit. Go back to sculpt, them import object , a windows box will open for you to select an object, cancel this and then you should be left with  the 3dcoat dialog box open , at the foot of the dialogue there is a "pick from retopo" click that and it will pull you retopo mesh into the sculpt room. ( I think if your retopo has no holes in it it may be solid ,but not sure)

Worth a look though.

And of course you can bring your mesh with the cloth tool and use dynamics to sculpt your cloth. A bit fiddly . but good for capes and droopy sleeves.

( I used it for my "Fu Manchewy" pics ..click my signature for Artstation)

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, MatCreator said:

thanks... will try as you suggest, but at least i know its not a bug or something. would be nice to just extract a clean shell instead of the volume.

Try using the 'Coat' tool instead.  That will also give you the option of making a patch in the retopo room, that you can then turn around and import for cloth.

• Like 1