3DCoat Forums

UV Mapping Questions

Paint Guy

• Advanced Member

post-920-1241855087_thumb.jpg

Hi, I am just trying to get the process down of importing my model, unwrapping it and then sculpting it and exporting a displacement map to use in Cinema 4D. I am not worried about topology or if I have marked the seams correctly at this point as I first want to get the correct steps down so I can get it all working. :)

1) Imported model

2) I selected "Mark Seams" to mark the seams.

3) I then selected "Unwrap" to unwrap

4) I then select "Apply UV Set" which applies the current UV map to the model.

5) I select "Save" to save the UV map as a .uv file.

6) Select (File > Export UV Set) then export the .obj file.

Question #1

Are my steps correct.? If I have missed a step or a step is not in order please tell me.

Question #2

Now what do I do? What should my next step be?

Question #3

Am I doing this right? I am supposed to create my UV's before I sculpt right.. So do I sculpt now and then how do I save or export my "UV" map from 3D Coat to use in Cinema 4D?

Question #4

When I selected "Save" from the UV menu it saved my UV map as a .uv file. I can't open this in Photoshop to paint on it. What am I doing wrong. I want to be able to paint on my UV map in Photoshop?

Thanks

• Advanced Member

Hi Paint Guy,

If you're not concerned about uv layout etc, why not use 3DC's auto UV-mapping when you import the model? Generally you want to import a model with some sort of subdivision active if you want to actually sculpt it. Both Per Pixel and Mesh painting will allow you to do this. I'm not familiar with the .uv files, but if you want to export a layer to Photoshop just make sure your PS path is set in the 3DC options then use the Edit menu options to edit layers or camera projections. This will kick the layers or camera view over to Photoshop for you. Enjoy!

-Oliver

The only time you would save out a separate UV file is when you want to apply those UVs to another object (lower res version, another file entirely, etc.).

After you finish up your retopologization and unwrapping your UVs, What you need to do if you want to save the UVs out with the object, is simply hit "Export" Or go up to "Retopo>Export Raw Object". Either way it's the same. Name your file and select the file type, and you're done. :)

• Advanced Member
The only time you would save out a separate UV file is when you want to apply those UVs to another object (lower res version, another file entirely, etc.).

After you finish up your retopologization and unwrapping your UVs, What you need to do if you want to save the UVs out with the object, is simply hit "Export" Or go up to "Retopo>Export Raw Object". Either way it's the same. Name your file and select the file type, and you're done. :)

Thanks Oliver and geothefaust!

1) OK, so I select "Export", but where is the Export? (I am using the beta 3.0 version 82)

2) After I select Export, what are my file save options, will it allow me to save as a .tiff and a .psd?

3) How do I save out a displacement map to use in Cinema 4D? Please tell me what I do following my last step. Step #6

I really appreciate it! :)