3DCoat Forums

Please improve the image-based sculpt as a terra editor!

ldzywsj

• Advanced Member

Please improve the image-based sculpt as a terra editor!

Andrew,those days I tested the image-based sculpt as a terra editor for unity3d,because the terra editor of this game engine is weak.I found the image-based sculpt of 3dc is really powerfull,why not improve the image-based sculpt as a terra editor? It will be a another hot sales point of 3dc,all the features of terra editor almost exist,it would be only cost you one day or several hours to improve it.

I tested it deeply,my workflow is:

1)use "file"->"import image plane",set the mesh resolution as 1024*1024 or 2048*2048.

2)sculpt and export the depth map as a tif file.

3)import it to photoshop and export it as a raw file,because unity3d use raw file type as highmap.

so my advise is:

1)there should has a file command "terra editor" to tell 3dc users 3dc has terra edit function.

2)support raw file type export.

3)there should has a hot key to pick depth value just like "v" to pick color.

4)In the layer depth blend mode,there are "add depth","subtract depth","choose maximum depth","magnify depth" and "suppress depth".Please add "absolute depth" or "overwrite depth" blend mode,this mode can overwrite the depth of below layer,so we can pick a depth value then use it to make a horizontal plane.

5)I know there has a tool "make planar",it is hard to make a horizontal plane,but I use it to make ramp!Use "make planar" tool and in "draw with line" or "draw with curve" mode,we can make ramp.But we really need a true ramp tool to make curved ramp.

6)please sync the depth map layer with photoshop,now 3dc can't do it!

7)In order to make the terra editor looks more professional,please closed the edges faces.(please have a look at the attached pic.)

Andrew,3dc is a game texture maker and sculpting app,it is strange there has not a terra editor,even it truely has all the function and features.So please tell the users,and improve it a bit.If it will be done,I will do some tutorials,but my english is sooooooo poor! :clapping: :clapping:

post-641-1243219888_thumb.jpg

post-641-1243220190_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

I make a terra in 3dc,then export the highmap to photoshop to save as raw file,I import the highmap in unity3d ,the result is perfect!

But in 3dc it looks very rough,in unity3d is smooth and perfect.I never change anything.

perhaps the display performance of the depth map has some problem in 3dc.

post-641-1243335835_thumb.jpg

post-641-1243336022_thumb.jpg

Are you doing that with per pixel or micro vertices? If it's MV what you might be seeing is the polygons, since 3DC is adding more polys to the original model (at least 4x more) then displacing them with the sculpture.