3DCoat Forums

3D Coat 2021 - Modeling (hard surface) - Information request

EvilMP

I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out the hard surface modeling in 3D Coat 2021. I watched the GIFs that Pilgway posted on the 3D coat website. But it does seem like enough to really figure it out. I am trying to make 3D coat my one stop solution for everything modeling, painting, sculpting etc. But it seems coming from Blender into 3D coat's modeling room it's a bit overwhelming, at least to me. Does anyone know if someone has made any tutorials for modeling in 3D Coat?

Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Emi was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

On 1/4/2022 at 11:01 AM, EvilMP said:

I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out the hard surface modeling in 3D Coat 2021. I watched the GIFs that Pilgway posted on the 3D coat website. But it does seem like enough to really figure it out. I am trying to make 3D coat my one stop solution for everything modeling, painting, sculpting etc. But it seems coming from Blender into 3D coat's modeling room it's a bit overwhelming, at least to me. Does anyone know if someone has made any tutorials for modeling in 3D Coat?

Well, Modeling room is just Retopo with additional tools, so you could find a tutorial about retopo and maybe get some ideas how it works.

The thing is you have to think like 3DCoat, not like Blender or Maya, for example since it is a sculpting app, Stroke mode will be just Radius and Depth Pressure by default, so if you wanted to marquee select, you need to change it, like if you want to select multiple points or polygons, so you always have to remember to check your stroke mode depending on what you are going to do.

Some tools will display additional options on top, like 2D or 3D primitives, but you also get like if you want "auto" or select only vertex and polygons, and how many segments if you are using the strokes tool.

But pretty much Polygroups are your individual objects, then as any other you either modify an important asset or start from a primitive and that's where you use 2D or 3D primitives, hit apply and then you can use the tools, which usually are self explained so you know what they might do.

Sometimes you have to select before using a tool, and you will get a message at the center bottom of the screen about it, like Extrude will not work unless you have an edge or face selected.

Ctrl and shift key can also be used on different tools, sometimes it does the opposite, but sometimes it does more than just left clicking, for example in Select tool, you will either select the loop with shift or ctrl will deselect, and double clicking will select all connected polygons for example. For transform or extrude, ctrl will do snapping, like when you move it will do 25 increments if you grab like the move arrow, but if you use the circle in the center of the axis, it will snap the extrusion to move only up or down, regardless of the face normal, then shift will move the axis so you can transform wherever you want. Of course the behavior is not going to be similar to what Split rings tool would do, Shift will act as the snapper so you don't create the splits in random values. then we have like Ctrl in Delete Polygons will delete every connected geometry while on Delete Edges it will do the loop. So you have to always check that kind of stuff in tools as well.

To move or scale or rotate precisely, you touch the axis and then hit spacebar so you can enter values, not the easier thing to do but at least it is there.

So, it is not complicated but it is not like the normal modeler, but it works and could be useful on many cases.

• Thanks 1