3DCoat Forums

Looking for a way to build up volume all the way to a stroke

pior

Question

Hello,

I am looking for a dedicated tool/brush or some kind of workaround to achieve the following (see attached gif).

It would consist of editing the silhouette of a part according to a drawn stroke. Of course there are other ways to get the result shown in the gif (using regular sculpting, the Move and Blob brushes, and so on) - but being able to work with just a single stroke as an input would allow to make such an edit without having to rotate the viewport - hence a clearer focus on the current design. It would personally save me a lot of time, and would becaome just as useful as VoxHide.

Another way to think of it would be as a variant of the Sketch brush, allowing to edit an existing object as opposed to creating new objects from scratch.

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks !

expand-to-silhouette.gif

8 answers to this question

On a related note, when attempting to build the desired shape as a thin Blob slab that is then stretched sideways to the desired volume, how does one turn it back to voxels behaving as they should ? The normals seem to get messed up even after resampling, which likely indicates that the transforms don't get reset as expected :

2022-12-08 12_16_15-for questions.3b_ - 3D-COAT 4.9.74(DX64).png

2022-12-08 12_16_24-for questions.3b_ - 3D-COAT 4.9.74(DX64).png

2022-12-08 12_20_04-for questions.3b_ - 3D-COAT 4.9.74(DX64).png

Edited by pior

Hello,

Please always provide the actual location/description of the tool or feature as opposed to its shortcut, as one's shortcuts can be custom and different from defaults. In my case Enter doesn't do anything.

(and of course I am still interested in an answer to the original question :) )

Edited by pior

Hello Carlos,

There are multiple overlapping topics here.

1 - First off all let's ignore the Blob and Sketch tools for now and lets focus on the issue of broken transforms that seem to affect models that have been stretched with the Scale tool (as I am sure that you can see it on the second screenshot : something is off with the shading of the stretch slab).  How do I reset/resample said objects after a scale operation, so that they behave properly according to the voxel grid ? Ideally I'd like to be able to reset both the scale and rotation transforms.

I am attaching an example showing the issue.

2 - Going back to your earlier suggestion of pressing Enter : again, which tool/feature is that (in the regular menus) ?

3 - Indeed, the Sketch tool is great to generate volumes, I am familiar with it. But before thinking of such workarounds, do you confirm that there is no way to perform the deformation that is illustrated by the first gif ?

slab to reset.3b

Edited by pior

- models that have been stretched with the Scale tool 

Use RMB over the mesh and select to Global Space: Don’t forget the “To global space”, it’s like remesh, when you deform surface polygons or voxels does not stay uniform, using brushes will not behave so well until you use this feature.

image.png

before and after

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

---------------------------------------

editing the silhouette of a part according to a drawn stroke

Sphere or 2D-paint will help

image.png

image.png