3DCoat Forums

Using 3D Coat with Surface Studio Laptop

D.R. Greenlaw

Question

Hi,

I recently started using a Surface Studio Laptop with 3D Coat and I have a question. The Slim Pen 2 for this tablet computer has only a single button and it acts like a right mouse button, so I'm able to rotate using only the tip and zoom using the button and tip. Unfortunately, since this stylus has no equivalent for a middle mouse button, I'm not able to pan using this stylus.

Naturally I can use the on-screen widget to pan with the stylus but does anyone here knows how to change the default Alt+MMB shortcut to something else that works with this stylus? I would rather use a shortcut with this stylus so I don't need to move it away from the location where I'm drawing/sculpting.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Edited by D.R. Greenlaw

4 answers to this question

Hi JstoArt,

Sorry for the late reply. 

For the most part, I like the Surface Laptop Studio (SLS). This device is basically a tablet/laptop hybrid. The tablet part is well suited for 2D programs but unfortunately it's not ideal for 3D programs. This is mainly because the Surface Slim Pen 2 has only one finger switch and as mentioned above you can't assign it to act as a middle mouse button. As you might imagine, this is a problem for users of 3D programs like 3D Coat, Blender, Maya, etc., ...

I started experimenting with the 3DC settings Calosan suggested but I soon decided I should think carefully about what I change there. So for now I'm using a XenceLabs Remote with a custom 3DC setting with a middle mouse button. So to navigate in 3DC: normal tip 'draw' for rotation, side button hover then tip 'draw' L/R for zoom, and press 'Middle Click' on the remote and hover X/Y with tip for panning.

Using the XenceLabs remote with the laptop actually works well for 3D Coat once you get used to it, and assigning remote buttons is definitely helpful when I'm using Blender. I also have the less expensive Huion KeyDial remote but haven't tried it with 3DC yet. Having used it with other programs, I think it should work fine. If it matters to you, the XenceLabs remote is higher quality device though and more solidly built compared to the Huion KeyDial.

As for working in tablet mode with the stylus, if I program more buttons on the Xense, I think I could work with the screen flat and the keyboard hidden. Right now though, instead of flipping the display to lay flat, I'm keeping it propped up in laptop mode, just leaning the display back a little farther than normal. The display's hinge is reasonably stiff so as long as you don't lean hard against the screen it works fine. Working this way allows me to use the keyboard, which I'm more comfortable with for now.

But when I have time, I'll try working in full tablet mode (opened flat). I'll post more info about the experience then.

I think the most annoying thig is the lack of a second button on the Stylus though, and probably the lack of physical buttons when in tablet mode. Years ago I had a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2, which had the standard 2-button stylus which could replicate L/M/R clicks just fine, and the buttons and sliders on the bezel could be used for modifier keys and whatever else I needed, like undo-redo, adjust brush size, etc. If the SLS only had these 'missing' features, I think it would be perfect.

For everything else I use the SLS for (drawing, painting, compositing, frame-by-frame animation, music composition, and video editing,) it's been a great device.

Edited by D.R. Greenlaw