3DCoat Forums

Apply UV Set

Gwynplaine

Hi all,

I'm using the demonstration download of version 3 and am very impressed with what 3D Coat can do.

I'm getting good results from UV Mapping but have come upon an issue which may just be me

not really being good with the software yet.

I find creating seams is very easy and intuitive and the 3D Coat UV Mapping features takes a lot

of the hard work out of making good maps but when I have made my seams and sliced up the object to

my satisfaction with what looks like a good map, I select Apply UV Set to apply the map onto

the object I get the This Operation Cannot Be Undone message, I click OK and 3D Coat hangs,

with a Not Responding message. I can't seem to get past this.

By selecting Unwrap I can make my map apply in the little UV preview window OK but when I export

the object the map is as it was when it was auto mapped when I first brought the object into 3D Coat.

Can't get it to Apply UV Set. I'm using Vista and the GL version. I really like this programme but am

wondering if it's just me being a dummy noob or someone else has the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi there!

You are doing everything right. So I went and tested this out, it appears there is a bug at the moment regarding exporting objects and it not saving the UV set. Which is weird. I know it was working with one of the builds before v3 release.

I did however, find that the other way of saving out your UV map is still working. It might seem weird but... Follow me here for a second...

So, what you do is, upon finishing your retopologization, mark your seams as normal, unwrap also, as normal. Now when you're ready to export, go to the voxel tab, right click on any layer, select quadrangulation (I usually pick for per pixel painting, as it will pop back into the paint tab and you will know instantly whether it worked or not). The first prompt will ask you to pick your settings for auto quadrangulation, DO NOT pick anything! Hit cancel, this is because you don't want to really use this option, you already manually retopologized. :) Now on the next prompt, select your export options and then continue through.

If it successfully exported, you will now have your object retopologized and working.

This is a temporary solution. I will file a bug report. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Thanks for the quick reply geothefaust,

I got it working ok in the end :clapping: What I think I was doing was trying to Apply UV's after creating my edges but before I had unwrapped the map!

I haven't had the demo long (3 days) so I'm still feeling my way around and making my own hash of it, I might have contributed to my own problems by doing things a bit backwards.

I'll try your fix if I run into any more problems with the mapping and saving of textures but fingers crossed it's doing ok now I'm taking more care :rolleyes:

I UV'd what I wanted in the end and am mightily impressed! I can get on with mapping and texturing with some speed and confidence now, 3D Coat is

way ahead of what I was hoping for.

I got the ok from the wife to spend the money so I'm going to purchase the license this weekend. :good:

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated!

hope you dont mind if ask a question here about the UVs. Have the tools for UV Mapping been improved in 3.00

I haven't had a chance to use the UV editor yet, but according to following webpage it looks like UV tools got some lovin in ver 3:

5) Improved UV-mapping tools. You can move/rotate/scale individual uv-islands, automatically or manually pack them.

http://www.3d-coat.com/download.html

Hi there,

Thanks Goodrichm for answering!

I also have one thing to note for Gwynplaine.

I was forgetting one step when in the process of exporting objects. So, I was truly wrong, there is no bug now (though it was a bug for a while). Here's what you do:

Retopo as normal

mark seams

Unwrap

Pack UVs (step that I missed, important one!)

Then go to Retopo>Export

Name your file and you're done. :) Hope this helps.

Thanks geothefaust

Yes it's all working provided I get the steps in the right order and don't miss anything out

it's just learning the details, the Penguin video only goes so far :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to starting my next modelling project and using 3D Coat to it's

full advantage, it should raise the quality of my models and maps a few levels.

Thanks for your help, this forum is a great resource for newbies like me.