3DCoat Forums

Unhide frozen mask; and duplicate frozen brush

rubeos

Question

• Advanced Member

Sorry, I can't find the command to restore the hidden part of a masking (hide frozen area).

And I can't duplicate the frozen brush (and also other brushes).

If this were possible I could make for example 3 copies and assign shortcuts for each, for example:
1 key: frozen with lasso rectangle
2: frozen brush
3: frozen circle lasso

9 answers to this question

• Reputable Contributor
On 4/11/2023 at 11:34 PM, rubeos said:

Thank you, I've understand how to make it work. Too bad it can't be a toggle command (hide/unhide), because I think it could be faster and an alternative (with more ''resolution'') to the cells hide brush.

Actually, that now exists. I just spoke with Andrew about this topic and he said he recently added the ability to save a Freeze Mask to a Paint Layer (the same way you can store a POSE selection to a Paint Layer). When the FREEZE tool is active, you will see the Options to "FREEZE to LAYER," "CLICK & PICK to FREEZE" and "CURRENT LAYER to FREEZE."

EDIT: After storing a freeze mask to a Paint Layer, you could then hide the mesh in the FREEZE menu as previously discussed, but you may want to assign a hotkey also to the UNHIDE ALL menu option in the GEOMETRY tab. That would unhide the mesh (I thought you just wanted to hide the freeze mask temporarily), but you could always get your Freeze mask back via the CLICK AND PICK option in the (Freeze tool) Tool Options panel. 

Edited by AbnRanger
Need to add some additional information
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 4/10/2023 at 6:43 PM, rubeos said:

Yes...a lot, in general. Including I assigned a shortcut for hide frozen area.

When you make a freeze mask, you need to first store it, if you want to get it back again at some point. To do this, you simply choose STORE or RESTORE from the bottom of the FREEZE menu. 

• Advanced Member
22 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

When you make a freeze mask, you need to first store it, if you want to get it back again at some point. To do this, you simply choose STORE or RESTORE from the bottom of the FREEZE menu. 

Thank you, I've understand how to make it work. Too bad it can't be a toggle command (hide/unhide), because I think it could be faster and an alternative (with more ''resolution'') to the cells hide brush.

• Advanced Member
On 4/12/2023 at 9:52 PM, AbnRanger said:

Actually, that now exists. I just spoke with Andrew about this topic and he said he recently added the ability to save a Freeze Mask to a Paint Layer (the same way you can store a POSE selection to a Paint Layer). When the FREEZE tool is active, you will see the Options to "FREEZE to LAYER," "CLICK & PICK to FREEZE" and "CURRENT LAYER to FREEZE."

EDIT: After storing a freeze mask to a Paint Layer, you could then hide the mesh in the FREEZE menu as previously discussed, but you may want to assign a hotkey also to the UNHIDE ALL menu option in the GEOMETRY tab.

Yes I have already assigned a shortcut for ''unhide all'' because I need it in combination with vox hide, but it can be useful for frozen as well. Obviously if I do that the previous selection made with ''frozen'' brush disappears.

That would unhide the mesh (I thought you just wanted to hide the freeze mask temporarily), but you could always get your Freeze mask back via the CLICK AND PICK option in the (Freeze tool) Tool Options panel. 

I see. I'm coming from a more linear workflow; since there is an ''hide frozen mask'' function it would be simpler and linear if there was a simple ''unhide frozen mask'' button, that restores the mesh but also makes the masking reappear, but that's ok;) 

• Reputable Contributor
On 4/15/2023 at 8:48 AM, rubeos said:

Yes I have already assigned a shortcut for ''unhide all'' because I need it in combination with vox hide, but it can be useful for frozen as well. Obviously if I do that the previous selection made with ''frozen'' brush disappears.

I see. I'm coming from a more linear workflow; since there is an ''hide frozen mask'' function it would be simpler and linear if there was a simple ''unhide frozen mask'' button, that restores the mesh but also makes the masking reappear, but that's ok;) 

That is true and would be a good idea if you shot support an email (support@pilgway.com), asking for this, as I am sure it would be a relatively easy thing for Andrew to add. Nevertheless, the ability now to store a freeze/pose selection to a layer makes it a more non-destructive workflow when dealing with masks/selections.

• Like 1