3DCoat Forums

[Solved] 3D Coat renewal

phoenixart

Question

7 answers to this question

Hi

Hope this help   

17 hours ago, stas3dc said:

I am sorry for the delay in answering. The situation is very simple - you do not have the upgrade button because we did not make any new version after the 20th of July in the Download section. We put v2023.25 on 19 July to Download section and that is the reason you can use it. But we did not make any new version in the Download section after 20th of July. Please understand the logic - in order to make the upgade for some money (45 Euros), you need to have some new version to upgrade to. Because the last version v2023.25 is already available for you for free. When we will put the next version in the Download section (it can be  v2023.26 or  v2023.27 or v2023.28...  and not just new beta on the Forum) AFTER your free upgrades date -  the 20th of July - THEN the upgrade button will appear in your account. It can take even two or three weeks after your date - the 20th of July - but only after that the Upgrade button will appear. You lose nothing - you can still use the latest version available in the Download section. And when the new version appears in the Download section after your 12 months free upgrades period expires - then the Upgrade button will appear in your account.

1 hour ago, phoenixart said:

From my understanding, the 45 euro was only for those who bought the rent-to-own license.

45€ applies to permanent license; 80€ if you skip more than a year. However, yours is a case of straight forward rental. Because of that, it's likely going to be another 169.85€. 1-Year Rental is not the same as Rent-to-own. A 1-Year Rental is similar in concept to a 1 year subscription, which Pilgway doesn't offer, but with manual renewal instead of automatic.

1-Year Rental is pretty much designed for those who need 3DCoat for a limited period of time, usually for when they're working on a project. It's not a smart move, financially, if you keep paying that 169.85€ every year. Eventually, it's going to cost way more than just paying the 379€ for a permanent license and then 45€ every year after to upgrade.

IMO, buying a permanent license is cheaper than rental and even rent-to-own. 3 years of rental comes out close to 1 379€ permanent license and 3 more years of 45€ upgrades. More expensive long term. Don't even get me started on how much more monthly rental comes out to down the line. Yowza!

Rental should buy your last option, I think. It's the least cost effective if you plan on staying with 3DC for the long haul. Rent-to-Own is more manageable at 41.60€ for 11 months, but - by the end - that still comes out to almost 79€ more than buying a permanent license outright. A permanent license will cost you more now in the short term, but less down the line.

Edited by cookepuss
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the thorough explanation @cookepuss

I see, the permanent license is definitely the most cost-effective. 
I think last year when I got the 1-year rental, there was also a discount which made me lean toward that decision as I wasn't sure yet whether I'd keep using 3D Coat or not. 
The least appealing to me is the rent-to-own, I might as well buy the permanent right away at that point.

But I guess at this point, I'm in no rush. Once my license expires, I can decide which new license to buy.

4 minutes ago, phoenixart said:

I think last year when I got the 1-year rental, there was also a discount which made me lean toward that decision

I honestly cannot tell you if there's a discount for 1-Year Rentals or not. I'm a permanent license holder. I mean, I wouldn't be shocked if there were, but I don't see Pilgway as having any obligation to discount the rentals for returning user. Kinda defeats the purpose of that business model and disadvantages them, I think. You certainly don't see the likes of Adobe or Autodesk giving customers a discount just for renewing their annual rental one year over the next. Again, I don't disbelieve you. I just assumed that Pilgway would follow the same proven line of thinking as other companies in their position

Yeah. That permanent license is probably the way to go anyway. Cheaper in the long term and only "hassle" is in navigating the upgrade process once your 12 months are up; It's not so complex once you understand "the rules" - A few threads here these days reiterating them.

Personally, given the way that MAXON and Adobe have treated ZBrush and Substance users (and the products) in recent years, you'd do well to stay in Pilgway's camp for as long as possible. Andrew & Co do top notch work and keep 3DCoat competitive and affordable, which is doubly impressive as he's based in Ukraine. Kudos to them.

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, cookepuss said:

I don't see Pilgway as having any obligation to discount the rentals for returning user.

Oh sure, I didn't it mean in that sense. I wouldn't expect any type of discount or sale, either. I was just considering what made me go with the 1-year rental, the final cost was quite a good deal.

We've all been used to Autodesk's bad reputation, but to be honest, I don't know at this point which one is the worst. It's good competition when you throw in Adobe and Maxon.

I have to use C4D and Redshift for work. The level of glitches I find it's a bold statement of what these companies really focus on nowadays: social media, which means, automated tools like AI, for wannabe influencers, or the latest trendy tutorials for NFT lovers. I once asked on a forum how come Redshift grew so buggy over time. It seemed that I was the only one complaining about those issues, but I do know that's not the case.

Anyway, thanks for the insights. I might go with the perpetual if work-wise makes sense.

Edited by phoenixart

Hi,

Thanks for your email. We are aware there are some users with permanent licenses unable to upgrade to the 2023 version of the software. We are looking into it.
Please accept my apologies for this. Hopefully we can respond in a timely manner and have this resolved.