3DCoat Forums

Newbie asking for workflow tips

Blacktip

Hello. I would like to know if 3D Coat perhaps is the tool for me or not.

Today's situation: I'm a 3D hobbyist that likes to dabble with the creation of … well, stuff. I model in Fusion 360 and then import a solid .STEP or STL-model into Keyshot (V10) to add materials, lightning etc. This usually work just fine, as long as you don't have any need for more control over the textures in terms of "painting rust" or "adding grit and wear". Aaand … that's what I'd like to be able to do.

Future: I would like to be able to get my Fusion 360-models into a piece of software that enables me to have full control over the texture(s), as well as the ability to render out stills (and perhaps even animations, although that's not my primary aim atm). I have understood that much that the secret sauce is to 'get the solid exported model transferred into a polygon model with UV:s', and boy … have I tried. But failed. I bought MoI (that was said to be the best software to convert solids into quad polis). I also started a 1 year subscription of Maxon Cinema 4D, but … it's too expensive for a hobbyist so I won't continue that subcription.

Question: Is 3D Coat or Texture perhaps the answer to my future needs? Is there a smart way/workflow that allows me to model in F360, and then somehow be able to convert/transfer the solid model into something that allows be to texture to my heart's content? Please help me out with information for a beginner in the texturing world. As I mentioned, I own MoI, but perhaps 3D Coat can perform any necessary conversion? 

Here's an example of a phone I modelled a few years back, so you can see what kind of models I'd like to be able to evolve texture-wise.

z1-1.jpg

Just now, zf3d said:

I have been using 3dcoat for six months and have eliminated blender, zbrush, sp, mari. 3dcoat can handle various complex modeling tasks and is highly recommended

Thanks for your answer. However, my question wasn't related to modelling. I'm looking for information about 1.) the possibility to go from a solid model (Fusion 360) to having full control over textures and, if this is possible: 2.) some recommendations of (detailed) workflow. Pitfalls, limitations etc is also highly appreciated. 

• Reputable Contributor
35 minutes ago, Blacktip said:

Thanks for your answer. However, my question wasn't related to modelling. I'm looking for information about 1.) the possibility to go from a solid model (Fusion 360) to having full control over textures and, if this is possible: 2.) some recommendations of (detailed) workflow. Pitfalls, limitations etc is also highly appreciated. 

You should be able to import an STL file. That will be a mesh, but I am not sure if they will be all triangles or mostly quads. Could you attach a test model, in STL format, I could record a little workflow video for you (and others who may want to do the same)?

19 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

You should be able to import an STL file. That will be a mesh, but I am not sure if they will be all triangles or mostly quads. Could you attach a test model, in STL format, I could record a little workflow video for you (and others who may want to do the same)?

Hello, and thanks for your reply! I just created a super quick model, containing both sharp as well as rounded corners. Attaching both .stl and .step versions. Go nuts and see if you're able to prep the model for texturing. I'm also keeping an eye on that clock that says that the countdown for a discounted 3D Coat is running out :)

ExampleModel.zip

• Reputable Contributor
On 8/18/2023 at 3:21 PM, Blacktip said:

Hello, and thanks for your reply! I just created a super quick model, containing both sharp as well as rounded corners. Attaching both .stl and .step versions. Go nuts and see if you're able to prep the model for texturing. I'm also keeping an eye on that clock that says that the countdown for a discounted 3D Coat is running out :)

ExampleModel.zip 1.35 MB · 4 downloads

I recorded a video tutorial, but after a bit of editing, I had 2nd thoughts about making it public since the sample/test file is maybe a bit too simplistic for that purpose. Testing, it is okay, but for a tutorial, it should probably be a more practical every day example. Nevertheless, the process is rather simple. From the splash screen you can choose the PAINT WITH UV'S (Per Pixel) > click the folder icon to locate the STL file. The import menu will have AUTO UV's chosen by default because it detects no UVs. I would check the AUTO SMOOTH checkbox toward the bottom, because otherwise the normals will look pretty bad on a triangulated mesh like that. I also would choose WELD VERTICES so that any overlapping vertices that might be on the model, will get welded together.

Choose the size of the texture map, you would like, toward the bottom of the panel. After clicking OK, you can proceed to Texture paint and export when you are done, using any of the extensive choices of Application/Render Engine/Game Engine presets.

• Haha 1

Hello. I fully get your standpoint regarding publishing a video starring that mediocre model :) Would it be of interest of doing something similar with a more decent 3D-model? I could for example publish a model of a cordless drill I modelled for fun earlier (only used a photo taken in perspective as reference). Just tell me, and I'll send you the 3D model.

Regarding the steps you posted (thanks!), I really can't try them out since I still don't own 3D Coat. I can't install a trial, since I seem to have done that a few years back and … well, time has run out.

My initial post was a mere question if 3D Coat *can* import F360 models and then texture, light & render them into a nice looking (non-tessellated) image (having control of stuff as 'painting rust & dirt')

Fusion 360.png

reference.png

Yes, I get that 3D Coat _can_ import filetypes like that. I am wondering whether there's a recommended workflow when dealing with cad-files I'm able to produce? Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I'd like to know if I'll get disappointed in the future (after learning more) when I (might) realise that "oh, ok … I really should have modelled this in Blender instead of trying to get clean topology from Fusion 360". I think I saw a video of someone dynamically auto-retopo:ing some sort of hi-res mesh, and it looked to me that 3D Coat did all of that really well. Then, learning how to texture/paint/etc is a separate chapter – I get that.

Anyway, I just bought 3D Coat 2023 … right or wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Blacktip said:

I am wondering whether there's a recommended workflow when dealing with cad-files I'm able to produce?

I think they will be happy to tell you if there are such training materials, but for now you can try to load your mesh into 3dcoat and try to texture it. Or watch any tutorial video on Youtube about texturing in 3dcoat.

• Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, Blacktip said:

Hello. I fully get your standpoint regarding publishing a video starring that mediocre model :) Would it be of interest of doing something similar with a more decent 3D-model? I could for example publish a model of a cordless drill I modelled for fun earlier (only used a photo taken in perspective as reference). Just tell me, and I'll send you the 3D model.

Regarding the steps you posted (thanks!), I really can't try them out since I still don't own 3D Coat. I can't install a trial, since I seem to have done that a few years back and … well, time has run out.

My initial post was a mere question if 3D Coat *can* import F360 models and then texture, light & render them into a nice looking (non-tessellated) image (having control of stuff as 'painting rust & dirt')

Fusion 360.png

reference.png

That model would be fine for the purposes of demonstrating the process in a tutorial. The simple answer is, yes, 3DCoat can certainly handle the task. Currently the file would need to be in the STL format. If you have some decals/graphics that should be applied to the model, please attach those with the model in a private message. It won't be shared or used in any capacity, apart from the tutorial; and I will list a credit for the model in the video.

As for the trial version of 3DCoat, you get a new chance to try 3DCoat each time there is a new version (ie., 3DC 2021, 2022, 2023). Lastly, STL files will come in triangulated, but if you need clean quad topology, there is a process to import as a Sculpt Object and use Auto-Retopo to essentially generate a new quad-based mesh. I don't think it is necessary in your use case, but it's an option.

• Like 1