3DCoat Forums

Retopo via Decimation

rosikowski

Question

2 answers to this question

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, rosikowski said:

If I have a model of 118 millions in voxels, haw I can go lower than 99.9% (118k) with retopo via decimation (since some time I cannot go lower than 99.9%) even if I manually type in lets say 60k polygons under the percentages) do I need to reduce it manually in voxels?

I don't think the decimation routine was ever designed to go beyond 99.9 (100)%. However, what you could do is simply decimate it a second time, to get it even lower, if you need.

• Like 1

cool, but how ? when I decimate it again in the sculpt room, then the decimation amount I type in is added to previously decimated mesh, 
and I have another question, so I decimated this guy :
image.thumb.png.ec6c6bd71967cf56d1ab93d524ef8c5e.png

I noticed in Unreal Engine that the "TopPart_TheGun" looks terrible, so I want to try to add polygons there, can I do it without the need of baking entire mesh again ? 
can I keep previously created 8k texture ? while adding mesh density in that specific part only ? 

EDIT: 
ok I need to seriously start learning retopo room if I want to do my sketch renders and some simple animations in UE xD previous sketch render I had, the orange part looked good, but the top metal part looked like shit xD I`ve added mesh density to entire model, top part is looking better but the orange part looks worse than it was xDD,
(You guys alredy tought me why - its too dense for the smooth surface with normal map) so I need to figure out a way to do one polygroup lower, and another more dense, how can I do that with only one texture file?)

EDIT 2: ok I`ve figured it out, I know how to decimate it one by one, xD lol it was super easy, so one question remains, how to decimate even lower inside retopo room?
image.thumb.png.e2e2648b7812c081f3da509693bcc5b0.png 

Edited by rosikowski