3DCoat Forums

How do you transfer materials, meshes,etc. to a new pc?

supereasy1001

@Carlosanthe Pc isn't broken, it's just lagging badly with the latest stable build (has been slowing down more as the PC ages), and this is the install that's been updated repeatedly over the last 5 years or so, and seems to have ever increasing random behaviors, like not remembering brush or preference settings, crashing when I use the stencil tool, not saving the 360 renders to the selected location, etc.  You suggested a clean install when I posted about this previously, but my work load hasn't permitted the down time until now. 

Thank you for the tip on what to copy to the new install.

• Thanks 1

@carlsoan I wanted to follow up because I may have found some issues that others have run into with sort of seemingly random errors I've encountered.

Before transferring the materials and such, per the path you pointed out, I decide to first update all of the material previews in hope of making for a cleaner update on the new PC. I did this because I have noticed one of the problems I've encountered in the past, is material previews not representing the actual material when applied.   The images below show the two problems I encountered while updating the previews. 

First, the entire "Fabrisc_Patterns" material folder in 3DC paint room had now previews at all, and gave me the missing file error as seen. Note that the path 3Dcoat thought the missing file should be in is not the path it is actually located at. Note that I've never relocated these files. Once I pathed to the correct location for that error, 3Dcoat then updated the rest of the materials in that folder with non problem.

Continuing with the process, I started noticing that when I used the option to update All Previews for a folder of materials, it would radically change the preview for many materials, from what the material actually was. 

In the example shown for "AppleDarkGreen" and "metal_blue", if I updated the preview for only a select material, it retained the material appearance. However, if I updated All Previews in the folder, it seemed to overwrite the custom material with the appearance of the material that the custom material had originally been based on.

Not sure how things got into such a bad state with the install on my old PC. Hopefully I can sort all of this out with a new install on the new PC. 

3Dcoat file erros 01.png

3Dcoat file erros 02.png