3DCoat Forums

Export all normal data as a displacement map

tekgecko

Question

4 answers to this question

• Reputable Contributor

Not with the Bake w/ Normal Map Per Pixel baking.

Choose Bake w/ Normal map (Per-Pixel) + flat displacement.  This way you will get a normal map and a displacement map but still be in per-pixel mode which gives the highest quality painting.

Now, you need to sub-divide the model when baking. Choose the highest or next highest division offered to you in the baking menu. You must subdivide. This is normal when creating a displacement map.  You can still export your low polygon model from the paint room when using the export objects and textures menu or from the Top Textures menu. Now when exporting from the objects and textures menu panel be sure to choose your low polygon model. Your external renderer or runtime will subdivide the model when using the displacement map. 

The displacement map will be put on a hidden layer in the paint room after baking.  Of course you can hide the normal map and unhide the displacement map to see it to check it. 

Since you are mainly interested in baking for per-pixel mode I will not discuss Micro-Vertex baking for a displacement map. That is the main purpose of this baking routine. A world space normal map will be created. No normal map layer created. You can still export a tangent base normal map though. If interested in this method, I will explain as well.

Side note:

As with all displacement map baking. quads work best and a good retopo layout plus good seams creation layout

flat.jpg

divide.jpg

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

First before answering your question, I need a little more information.

Did you bake from the retopo room for obtaining a normal map?

Import a model to the paint room for per pixel painting then import an external normal map.

17 hours ago, digman said:

First before answering your question, I need a little more information.

Did you bake from the retopo room for obtaining a normal map?

Import a model to the paint room for per pixel painting then import an external normal map.

Thanks Digman, baked the normal from high res sculpt from retopo room yes.