3DCoat Forums

RETOPO MESH ISSUE

awhawkins

Question

I am doing this cupcake tutorial and the problem I am experiencing is that one part of the retopo mesh (Liner) is not showing up the UV Preview nor does is display the simple checker like the other parts of the retopo mesh displays. Any help will be appreciated.

image.thumb.png.964ea3344fa8326bdb94c3760c770aaa.png

9 answers to this question

• Reputable Contributor

I am making a guess here in adding to Oleg_shapo post as possible reasons.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked at the uploaded picture and see a straight line in the upper part of the unwrapped uv set.

It is possible that the liner poly group has no uv seam or seams and is not unwrapping properly. 

I would double check the "liner poly group" for uv seams or correct uv seam selection.

Also make sure you are on the liner poly group when creating your seams.

In the 

13 hours ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

Try selecting the name of the corresponding UV set from the drop-down list

image.png

Oleg, in the Retopo Room I deleted the unused UV Sets and preformed an Unwrap. It appears to show simple Checker on all Polygroups and UV preview shows all the Polygroups.

image.thumb.png.8224864f733ef510dc42ef07a3b6aed6.png

However in the UV Room, the UV does not match the Retopo Room UV Map and Simple Checker is not show on the CupCake liner. Am I suppose to tranfer the UV Map from the Retop Room to the UV Room or what?

image.thumb.png.1391a63c807f8881e60b7c93a267fafe.png

• Reputable Contributor

A little FYI to add.

Normally a model in the UV room only appears after other operations like some of the ones listed below.

Baking a retopo mesh to the Paint Room

Importing a model into the paint room for Per-Pixel painting or Painting w/ Deep Displacement

Importing for UV Map Mesh

Importing for Ptex but that does not use a regular uv set. 

The above are the most common ways, are there more, all I can said is 3DC surprises at times, a new feature added I miss it etc etc. I was absent for a few years pursuing some life interest. 

I do not know your workflow, so the reason it is appearing in the UV room is unknown atm.

One use of the UV room is you have baked to the paint room a retopo mesh, done some painting etc. and realized you could have done a better job on some areas of the seam creation.

You can use the UV room to re-do seams, then unwrap without rotation the mesh then apply that UV set without destroying your paint layers.

The reason you unwrap without rotation is to preserve your normal map.

The reason, I give out extra information or ask questions is to fully more understand the current problem and it helps any other users who read this post.

2 hours ago, digman said:

A little FYI to add.

Normally a model in the UV room only appears after other operations like some of the ones listed below.

Thanks Digman for your patience and understanding. My intended workflow is as follows:

1. Sculpt a mesh (Sculpt Room or Model Room or both)

2. Retopologize mesh (Retopo Room)

3. UV the mesh (Retopo Room)

4. Texture Mesh (Paint Room)

I guess my problem is understanding how all the rooms work together. For example, lets say I start work in the Model Room creating a low poly object and then go to the Sculpt Room with low poly object to add say Vox Layer on top of that low poly object and take both to Retopo Room, how would one go about doing that? 

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, understanding how the rooms function with each other is very important.

I am using your example. Your workflow is fine. 

Quick example shown in picture.  Not shown for quality or uv seam layout. 

Created the low polygon box in the modeling room.

Side Note: When in the modeling room the model is also created in the retopo room.

Low polygon rectangular box I imported from the retopo room to the sculpt room using flat sub-division to maintain the shape of the low polygon model because you are importing for voxels plus need to use the voxel layer tool.  Also you need enough voxel resolution for the vox layers you are creating.

Edit: I made a mistake, do not use flat sub-division when importing for voxels, simply increase the resolution of the vox layer a few times to maintain the shape before committing the import. You will see the estimated poly count go up in the import panel.  I had used flat-subdivision when importing into surface mode and had forgotten that. The increase resolution icon is shown in the picture inside the red circle. It is in the sculpt tree panel.

I used the import tool under the Objects tab (left tool panel) in the sculpt room to import from the retopo room using the function "pick from retopo"

Used the Voxel layer tool to create what you see on top of the box.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used the low rectangular box in the retopo room for the retopo mesh.

I ran autopo just as an example on the vox layer sculpts, each pair got their own poly group layer. 

Total 3 retopo meshes that I unwrapped to one UV Set. You of course can create more than one uv set and make better seam layouts. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baking:

Used Name Correspondence to bake each poly group layer by itself so you do not get any occlusion errors. The vox layers sit on top of the box occluding part of it and the bottom of the vox layers are occluded too. Also you would get occlusion errors where they meet or in other cases 

where they intersect.

The names of the sculpt room layers and the poly group layers must have the same name for Name Correspondence to work. To make it clear all is baked in one go, you do not have to bake each poly group layer separately. 

3DC will hide each layer / layers as needed. leaving one visible for baking, then it rinses and repeats till all is baked. It is an internal process.

Check my scan settings so the baking mesh covers all part of the retopo meshes. 

Baked for normal map to the paint room and per pixel painting. 

Now the model also shows up in the UV room.

Done.

Now the above is not a tutorial but shows you it can be done. If you use Skype, I would be happy to go over the process as you are working on a tutorial to help others.  It gets lengthy to write down all the info in a tutorial format at the forums.

lowpoly.jpg

subdivide.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 3:53 PM, digman said:

Yes, understanding how the rooms function with each other is very important.

Thanks for the information.  I do not have Skype, but I will try your method. 

I was also wondering is there a way to bring a High Poly and Low Poly mesh into 3dcoat to bake the details from the high poly to the low poly? I have a high and low poly mesh in zBrush I would like to bake to in 3DCoat.