3DCoat Forums

GLTF, GLB Support?

Go to solution Solved by Oleg Shapov,

I am a new user and I like the software so far. I was really hoping to be able to import/export gltf or glb models. Not sure how hard of a task that would be, however Is this something that can be added in the near feature? I am getting into some virtual/realtime scenes, and it would help greatly for my workflow. 

• Advanced Member

Being able to export to glb would make a major difference.

I use a webGL library called Babylon.js and it has a site for uploading glb files.  sandbox.babylonjs.com

Currently I have to export from 3D Coat to Marmoset or Blender to generate a glb.  It was a request I made a while back, but I will echo @oiver55 that it would be very helpful.

Also, to answer the OP, you can change to gltf in the model export options, so instead of obj or fbx, you can choose gltf.  That being said, being able to export straight to glb would really help.  Glb is the primary format for 3d on the web and it's also the primary format for Godot, which is a game engine with a growing user base.

Incidentally, Babylonjs could be used instead of sketchfab for displaying 3d meshes online.  There is a free editor here https://editor.babylonjs.com/ and there are several examples such as this one of https://playground.babylonjs.com/#Y3C0HQ#146 which could be easily prepared to allow 3D Coat users to have an alternate render pipeline that is more similar to what you'd get in Sketchfab or Marmoset Toolbag for free.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, oiver55 said:

Great thanks for the prompt responses, I myself am a Three.js guy. I hope we would be able to import gltfs or glbs in the future, would be a great addon

Nice,

Are you a developer too?  Have you tried Babylon and if so, why Threejs over Babylonjs?  We're currently in the process of reevaluating our webGL library choice.

• 2 weeks later...