3DCoat Forums

True Seamless Tilable Sculpting

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

I was looking forward to sculpt tiling textures in 3d coat, ever since I caught a glimpse on the "Tile box 3x3" option in the Surface Sculpt Welcome screen. I was under the impression that it will just work as it says. Unfortunately it is not.

You can not paint across instances, which is a huge oversight imo. In addition, the template setup has the tiles overlapping, causing seams between them when you stencil project something. It is really just an instance tiling rather than the true Tiles Painting you get when choosing the Per Pixel Painting Tiling 3x3 template from the Welcome Screen, which is how it is supposed/someone would expect it to work. (I do a lot of hand painting color only tiling textures in Krita, and it caught me by surprise that 3D Coat doesn't allow seamless tiling sculpting, even tho the template says so).

A system like in Krita (Wrap Around Mode) or what Blender offers, would be needed for this to be a usable system actually for anything else that isn't a surface that consists of several individual elements like Bricks or Wooden planks.

I feel in the age of Nanite, for gaming textures/modular piece creation, this would be a very important thing to have to be able to utilize 3D Coats fantastic Sculpting tools to create tiling geo pieces or displacement maps.

Edited by Henry Townshend
typo, clarify

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

Use "translation symmetry", and at the end "export along Y".

Fantastic! That works. Thanks a lot!

I'm using a scaled up plane or box to get it really seamless, as the 3x3 template still comes with the unwelcome gaps when you need a continuous surface.

Edited by Henry Townshend
Clarify add

• Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, Henry Townshend said:

Fantastic! That works. Thanks a lot!

I'm using a scaled up plane or box to get it really seamless, as the 3x3 template still comes with the unwelcome gaps when you need a continuous surface.

sorry, I should have said from the start, don't use the template. Just sculpt on a horizontal surface. Surface mode or Voxel mode, whichever you prefer.
There is a video somewhere, with voice iirc, explaining. an official video. but maybe I dreamt it.
All I could find is this one :

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

sorry, I should have said from the start, don't use the template. Just sculpt on a horizontal surface. Surface mode or Voxel mode, whichever you prefer.
There is a video somewhere, with voice iirc, explaining. an official video. but maybe I dreamt it.
All I could find is this one :

Thanks again! Appreciated.

I think it might be worth pointing the devs to maybe rename the default template to attract more users, as this functionality inside Coat is absolutely insane and the  most easy way Ive seen this implemented in any software. Maybe there could be added an additional template called "Seamless Texture Sculpting" that uses the Translation you described. And the current "3x3 Tile" one could be renamed in "3x3 - Instanced Tiling" or something, so that new users don't get confused and are immediately offered a template for the "Translation" approach without manual setup.

• Like 1