3DCoat Forums

Freeze action when autosaving

• Advanced Member

I don't remember how many times Coat crashed when I accidentally performing an action at autosaving. The best I can get is a tempt file seconds ago and I hardly lose anything after rebooting. The worst a broken software or a broken system that won't start again.

So how about the idea to implement a function to freeze any user action 1 second before Coat attempting to autosave. Please.

There could be a better way, but any means to prevent this would be really helpful.

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor

To me autosave is unuseable precisely because you can't really work while it is doing autosave, unless maybe if you disable auto-zipping.

While your solution of locking the interface while autosave is in progress would prevent the possibility of causing a crash and losing work, the forced period of inactivity would still be very frustrating in my opinion.
In addition, I think it would be better if 3d-Coat would dynamically look for an appropriate time to do the autosave. For example, when an autosave is due, it could wait for a while to see if the user is actively working, and not perform the autosave unless the user stops interacting with the software for several seconds. If this does not happen soon, 3d-Coat could issue a prompt saying it is time to do an autosave with two choices "yes", and "remind me later".

Currently the two compromises are to either disable auto-zipping, or to disable autosave entirely.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Silas Merlin said:

To me autosave is unuseable precisely because you can't really work while it is doing autosave, unless maybe if you disable auto-zipping.

While your solution of locking the interface while autosave is in progress would prevent the possibility of causing a crash and losing work, the forced period of inactivity would still be very frustrating in my opinion.
In addition, I think it would be better if 3d-Coat would dynamically look for an appropriate time to do the autosave. For example, when an autosave is due, it could wait for a while to see if the user is actively working, and not perform the autosave unless the user stops interacting with the software for several seconds. If this does not happen soon, 3d-Coat could issue a prompt saying it is time to do an autosave with two choices "yes", and "remind me later".

Currently the two compromises are to either disable auto-zipping, or to disable autosave entirely.

I agree. I hate it when autosave interrupts my work, but I have to admit it saved me a couple of times because, you know, Coat crashes usually, sometimes even for no reason. So I would rather sacrifice 3 seconds for every 15 minutes than risking a unpredictable crash. A smart autosave as you suggested would be helpful, indeed. Let's hope the developers figure out how to solve this.