3DCoat Forums

suggestion: Marking / Pie Menus / Pallettes

e343mg

Hello,

I recently purchased a copy of 3D Coat and I'm very excited about the software. I'm an avid modeler and have been waiting for a tool like this for some time and I can't wait to see where this software goes.

I searched the forums for any previous suggestions of this, hopefully this isn't a repeat. Have you considered implementing marking / pie menus into the interface. When modelling its important to be able to access tools and task quickly and intuitively, marking menus basically transform a process of searching and activating a tool into a quick gestural process. I rely on marking menus to quickly execute commands without having to search for tools within drop downs menus. Many 3D apps allow you to remove viewport elements so that you can have a minimal clutter free interface, with marking menus you can access all your tools in front of your model instead of having to reach up to the main toolbar. There are a variety of ways to implement this, below are some youtube vids that illustrate the basic idea.

I also use this software to control programs that don't necessarily have pie or marking menus built in.

http://www.handform.net/gmote.php

Hope this helps,

-E.

• Advanced Member

I think that gMote program has some potential in regards to 3DC. It would be even more useful if 3DC could have custom shortcut keys for each room.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get 3DC to play very well with gMote as far as showing palettes with gestures. Selecting tools, it seems fine. Worth tinkering with more maybe.

I've used the space bar to pull up the tool palette, I guess I should've been more specific. In other 3D apps you can custom define pie menus similar to the one that is in the paint room context. Also, you can have marking menus within marking menus which creates a two part movement to access another tool. What I'm suggesting is the ability to define marking menus to suit your tastes.