3DCoat Forums

Voxel sculpt performance improvement ideas

vil

Hi, I start this thread to share my(and others)ideas how to improve performance of voxel sculpting, since it's the tool in 3d coat I like most for now and think that even smoother workflow in this area would be great. Please keep the posts to cleanly defining/refining ideas, but don't run too much into discussions about the single ideas(start new threads for that), so that it stays similar to a clean list. Note that I don't have a clue how the voxel sculpting actually works code-wise, I just know it uses voxels and some kind of marching cubes meshing, so some of these ideas might be quite stupid.

1.sculpt more volumes at once - this way you can have e.g. a high-resolution head and a lower-resolution body, and sculpt them together. It could enable you to set the volumes not to overlap.

2.Split to more Volumes - you can do this allready, and usually it improves performance. This idea is about this somehow happening in the background without the user having to split the volumes manually. Another quick way to add fine detail would be to define 'sculpting area' with some mask. currently, if I want to sculpt my details, I always split a part of the object, sculpt it and than merge - not bad too, but this could save time.

3.Enable brush intensities larger than >1.0 to work. currently no matter the intensity curve is high, the effect stops at 1.

4.hidden objects not being in the memory. Currently, the memory requirements of 3d coat are quite low(2.5mil triangles and only about 350mb of ram), still I thought it might help sometimes if what's hidden is kept in the 3b file, after unhiding it gets loaded. Sometimes I see 3d coat stucks for a second after strokes or so and that's often in cases when I have just a little separated object unhidden. It somehow still seems that big hidden objects decrease performance...

5.Full symetry mode - Often a big part of the sculpting happens in symmetry mode. Sometimes, the voxels start being different after some time on the both sides. This makes me think the tools are actually applied on both sides. If the whole voxel texture would be only on 1 side, while on the other would be only a clone of the mesh representation(surface), and the tools would be applied only on 1 side, I think this could be theoreticaly about 2x faster?

• Advanced Member

sorry for that...but not another feature or ideas thread please!!!! There are so many in this forum it's not necessary to start a new one. It's better to post your good ideas in a thread started by an admin because of the chance Andrew will read it...

Look at this:

3Dioots ideas thread

there is an interesting discussion about voxel improvements. Maybe posting there is a better approach.

only a suggestion... :D

Rene

sorry for that...but not another feature or ideas thread please!!!! There are so many in this forum it's not necessary to start a new one. It's better to post your good ideas in a thread started by an admin because of the chance Andrew will read it...

Look at this:

3Dioots ideas thread

there is an interesting discussion about voxel improvements. Maybe posting there is a better approach.

only a suggestion... :D

Rene

Lol, cool down please. This forum's name is 'feature requests' so I will write here whatever feature requests I want. Also, I carefully looked for a thread which would be specifically for improving performance(not overall feel and workflow) of voxel sculpting. These are rather ideas than feature requests for new features. Also, I explicitly asked ppl to write down only ideas to topic, and not to write personal opinions on how they feel about the whole thread. B.t.w. '3dioots ideas thread ' means this thread was originally meant for ideas of 1 expert user who was helpful, so why should I write in such thread to blat it and make it huge and unreadable. I am repeating my request, please keep this just for list of ideas, not a huge discusion of pros and cons of a single idea, if to do that, sum things up as good as possible.

• Advanced Member
Lol, cool down please. This forum's name is 'feature requests' so I will write here whatever feature requests I want.f to do that, sum things up as good as possible.

I agree. Actually I even liked the situation much more when everybody posted in just one "monster thread" before the release of V3...

I think it is plain wrong and does Forum atmosphere no good to expect too much of a Forum "canon". Vil had a feature request and posted it under feature requests. Great!

Not everybody visits this forum on a daily basis and nobody wants to read long (and weekly updated) lists of Do's and Don't before posting.

To me it instead would make much more sense:

• that either Moderators extracted and bundled requests from postings for internal use
  • or that some dedicated Software Development Feedback- Software was introduced (as proposed earlier)

Even trying to make people use the Search function before posting a request in my point of view means suppressing some of the most valueable contents for analysis of custumer-feedback:

• How often does a certain request come up? (what do people miss most?)
  • Do people ask for exactly the same thing (or is there some variation?)
  • Do people ask for stuff which is already there (is it maybe too hidden or has a little telling name?)
  • Do people stick to workflows which they are familiar with from other packages but which make not much sense inside 3D Coat? (How could we avoid this to happen?)

One could say "Isn't that what polls are for?"

Maybe in theory. I personally don't believe that polls even come close in in giving an accurate picture of the users experience with a software,

• Advanced Member
I agree. Actually I even liked the situation much more when everybody posted in just one "monster thread" before the release of V3...

I think it is plain wrong and does Forum atmosphere no good to expect too much of a Forum "canon". Vil had a feature request and posted it under feature requests. Great!

Not everybody visits this forum on a daily basis and nobody wants to read long (and weekly updated) lists of Do's and Don't before posting.

To me it instead would make much more sense:

• that either Moderators extracted and bundled requests from postings for internal use
  • or that some dedicated Software Development Feedback- Software was introduced (as proposed earlier)

Even trying to make people use the Search function before posting a request in my point of view means suppressing some of the most valueable contents for analysis of custumer-feedback:

• How often does a certain request come up? (what do people miss most?)
  • Do people ask for exactly the same thing (or is there some variation?)
  • Do people ask for stuff which is already there (is it maybe too hidden or has a little telling name?)
  • Do people stick to workflows which they are familiar with from other packages but which make not much sense inside 3D Coat? (How could we avoid this to happen?)

One could say "Isn't that what polls are for?"

Maybe in theory. I personally don't believe that polls even come close in in giving an accurate picture of the users experience with a software,

you've got it... :yahoo: