3DCoat Forums

Bezier curves

philnolan3d

I don't know how possible it would be for voxels, but for painting the curves really should have a bezier option. I've always felt that the way they work was very strange. In order to get a smooth half circle I should only need 2 or 3 points, not a dozen. Here's a quick look at how the Arc tools look in LWCad. Extremely simple with only a few points:

http://screencast.com/t/vvxAVgJBNM

And a quick look at LightWave's own native Bezier tool:

http://screencast.com/t/oQoWocJOyD

Thanks for sharing Phil. I appreciate seeing what other softwares out there happen to use. I'm very interested in what might qualify as the latest, greatest curve tools around.

In my experience, the curve in your first vid is traditionally called an arc, specifically conforming to a section of a circle (having a fixed radius all around). You appeared able to directly edit the arc into what has been called a B-Spline/cubic. Your second vid shows what has been called a Bezier/quadratic-spline... There actually are a variety of other curve types which a comprehensive application will offer, each with differing control-features. A nice editor will let a user change curve types, and even specify the number of control points, or the larger system of geometry used, ie: "Smooth" or facetted.

There in fact seem to be potential conflicts in exporting curves from one ap to another ap, perhaps due to the many differences involved, (through out mathematical systems and diverse math languages). Indeed, the ability to minimize the control points is key to the user. Usually few is preferable... Well, until a user wants to introduce other model refinements, heh, heh. When curves control solid objects like NURBS solids or meshes, then it seems even more of a software challenge, (in other software i have used).

I'm delighted to explore 3dC, in due time, especially to see how this system of voxels responds to these issues. In a sense, voxels appear to me to be somewhat more "real-world" in terms of the concrete structural sculpting, which i do. The real world of physical matter does seem much more voxel or atom like in terms of gobs of matter and huge scales of imperceptible resolution. By contrast, traditional geometry tended to simplify curves into clearly marked bins of splines and arcs along with ruled-behaviors.

I expect to use curve tools a lot in 3dC, but admit to a long and winding road ahead :D (slow to get a handle on new softwares types). ~Bo