3DCoat Forums

Polygons to voxels - objects with holes

3DTutorial

Hi,

I'm curious to know the best way to deal with this situation and was wondering if any of you could offer some suggestions?

Say that I import a polygon object into 3DC for conversion to a voxel object (no problem with that). But let's assume for a moment that the imported polygon object contains a lot of holes on its surface...when I then convert the object to a voxel object I get massive voxel extrusions jetting out of each and every hole of the converted object. For my purposes this is not ideal and I'm curious to learn if there is a way to deal with such objects, so that if an object has holes in it such extrusions will not be produced from the holes upon conversion? Normally, I would just find fill all the holes in the polygon surface before conversion to voxels but in the case of this object it simply is not practical or possible due to the design of the object.

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome - thanks!

Cheers,

Joe

how about making those polys have thickness like a shell modifier or extruding them. So they would import into 3dc like clothes with thickness.

That's a very good idea, one that I had not thought about. That might be a workable solution, I'll give that a try, thanks, I'll let you know if it works out.

Kind Regards,

Joe

That's a very good idea, one that I had not thought about. That might be a workable solution, I'll give that a try, thanks, I'll let you know if it works out.

Kind Regards,

Joe

Your suggested solution brings another question to mind... suppose my surface is like that of a wiffle ball http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...sa=N&tab=wi

What would be the best method to fill or bridge some of the holes on the surface, while leaving some of the others open?

Thanks!

Joe