3DCoat Forums

Voxel increase without smoothing + move tool

jdoublej

Hi, I am new to 3D Coat, and I'm amazed at just how much thought and detail was put into this program, that until recently I haven't even heard of...very impressed, I don't see any reason, without proper refinements, this couldn't be the future of 3D sculpting (at least I hope it is)...

My question, is regarding Voxel Increase,...I prefer to block things out at a low resolution,.....but when I Increase res, all of my hared angles, skinnier forms, ect, are wiped away, and smoothed down...is there a way to increase the resolution without altering the silhouette significantly? I know that in Zbrush, I just unclick the 'smt' button and I subdivides without smoothing, so I hope there is a similar option in 3d coat...

Also, the move tool (brush) tends to tear apart the model more than I'd like....There needs to be a way to tweak the mesh around quickly without doing significant damage to the surrounding surface detail....

I'm sure to develop many more questions, but any suggestions relating to these would be much appreciated,

thaniks,

-j

• 4 months later...
  • Advanced Member

I too would enjoy the option to choose to smooth or not smooth a voxel layer when increasing the resolution, if the technical side permits of course.

An option to delete stray voxels would be nice too, say 1 or 2 are floating islands from a thinly modeled section of a merged OBJ. Just an Idea.

The ability for voxel layers to smoothly merge with other layers in the tree would too be VERY nice. And the ability to set a smoothing rate for each layer would be invaluable! So one layer could only slightly smooth/merge with another layer because I set the merge smoothes to low, and another layer would VERY smoothly merge with the other voxTree layers because I set the smoothing rate on that layer to a high value. IMO This would make for an even more robust workflow when using voxels to create complex or multi-part models.

You can increase res without smoothing by cloning space density, increasing its resolution and moving the low res to the high res.

Move tool is the biggest reason I still can't use 3dc as much as I'd like. Not only does it tend to tear things apart, but it also does this weird inaccurate snapping which doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

• Advanced Member

You can increase res without smoothing by cloning space density, increasing its resolution and moving the low res to the high res.

Move tool is the biggest reason I still can't use 3dc as much as I'd like. Not only does it tend to tear things apart, but it also does this weird inaccurate snapping which doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

First off, thank you for your post. I'm glad to see that users frequent this form and share with others on the forum. :-)

Now the goods:

Using your method(Haamu), I tried to move a 4X resolution voxel object to another "cloned space density" layer at 4X (obviously 4x because of the clone of the initial layer). That successfully worked

HOWEVER, what I really need to do is move a 4X resolution voxel layer(object) to an 8X layer.... BUT, when I do so(using your method and other methods too) 3D Coat just shows the green-merge-progress bar & freezes/hangs at about 10% along the width of the full progress bar, and one of my 8 cores just runs at 100% for hours and hours, the other 7 cores just idles and dont run 3D coat processes(under win764bit & OSX). I end up having to force-quit/End-Task because even after allowing the merge to process for 12+ hours, the merge doesn't finish..

I also notice that when doing this process, on both OSX and Win7-64bit 3D-Coat, The program starts to run at a SNAILS PACE when it approaches 2.7 gigs of real memory use... it ends up just running 1 cpu at 100% and increasing the real memory used by about 100k(thats 100Kilobytes) every minute or so.

Has anyone found a way around this hang-up in 3D coat? I just got the program, and have tested it on 64-bit Win7 as well as OSX, and have run into the same exact hang-up of the program on both operating systems. This is a critical feature I need in 3D Coat to progress in an ideal workflow.

P.S. I've only been a 3D Coat user for a few weeks and REALLY enjoy it, Great work Andrew!!!!!!!!

• Contributor

First off, thank you for your post. I'm glad to see that users frequent this form and share with others on the forum. :-)

Now the goods:

Using your method(Haamu), I tried to move a 4X resolution voxel object to another "cloned space density" layer at 4X (obviously 4x because of the clone of the initial layer). That successfully worked

HOWEVER, what I really need to do is move a 4X resolution voxel layer(object) to an 8X layer.... BUT, when I do so(using your method and other methods too) 3D Coat just shows the green-merge-progress bar & freezes/hangs at about 10% along the width of the full progress bar, and one of my 8 cores just runs at 100% for hours and hours, the other 7 cores just idles and dont run 3D coat processes(under win764bit & OSX). I end up having to force-quit/End-Task because even after allowing the merge to process for 12+ hours, the merge doesn't finish..

I also notice that when doing this process, on both OSX and Win7-64bit 3D-Coat, The program starts to run at a SNAILS PACE when it approaches 2.7 gigs of real memory use... it ends up just running 1 cpu at 100% and increasing the real memory used by about 100k(thats 100Kilobytes) every minute or so.

Has anyone found a way around this hang-up in 3D coat? I just got the program, and have tested it on 64-bit Win7 as well as OSX, and have run into the same exact hang-up of the program on both operating systems. This is a critical feature I need in 3D Coat to progress in an ideal workflow.

P.S. I've only been a 3D Coat user for a few weeks and REALLY enjoy it, Great work Andrew!!!!!!!!

Best way is:

Export .obj or .stl.

Use "merge" function in the voxel tools to reimport and scale object up until you get desired polycount.

You get precise polycount and no smoothing. :)