3DCoat Forums

Displacement success

digman

• Reputable Contributor

Amber's question got me looking into creating displacement maps in version 3.1, I just upgraded from version 2 a few weeks ago. After few days of banging my head on my keyboard figuring out how to get the voxel mesh into a usable displacement, I arrived at a way to do it. I read the quickstart, looked at other threads,any tutorials I could find and tried some of my own solutions. Today I got a usable displacement map. Now this works for Carrara displacement but should work for others. I am still am running an older computer so I only could push the sudivision in Carrara so far. Others should be able to get even more detail from a displacement map.

I will try and make a tutorial asap. 3dcoat always made great displacment maps and I too was frustrated at not seemly being able to make a good displacement maps with Version 3.1 from voxels. If someone has addressed this before, well I learned the hard way... LOL

A simple non-descript low polygon model for testing. about 2900 polygons. and just a quickie voxel sculpt for testing the displacment map.

post-518-12581978669164_thumb.jpg

post-518-12581978942773_thumb.jpg

I didn't realize there was a problem with this. I've done it twice with my orc and old man character busts. As far as I know just make your voxels, retopo, send it to micro-vertex painting (maybe per-pixel too), do any additional sculpting you want, Then use the Texture Baking Tool with Smooth Mesh on and export the displacement map.

• Reputable Contributor

I didn't realize there was a problem with this. I've done it twice with my orc and old man character busts. As far as I know just make your voxels, retopo, send it to micro-vertex painting (maybe per-pixel too), do any additional sculpting you want, Then use the Texture Baking Tool with Smooth Mesh on and export the displacement map.

Philnolan3d, maybe a bug in the non-cuda 32 bit version of 3Dcoat maybe. I did it both ways has you described.The micro-vertex painting as it bakes the high-resolution voxels for real displacement not normal map of your model.That was my first choice but the maps looked like well, not very good at all. Then I tried per-pixel too. I used the texture baking tool alot in 3dcoat version 2, so I'm familiar with the tool. Of course I'm new at learning this new voxel version so it could all be user error. I will make a bug report too just in case.

• Advanced Member

I think everybody would be very thankful for the tutorial :) , seems that creating displacements from vox<>external lowpoly is not too streamlined process.Hopefully Andrew will do something about that.The displacement look really good by the way.

• 1 month later...