3DCoat Forums

beginner help again

markus

hi all!

some of you will remember that i stumbled into this forum a couple of months ago. i had to abandon the project i was working on back then for another one which is finished now. so i am glad i can get back to finding my way through the 3dcoat basics :)

so - again - here's what i would like to do:

-> import obj from file.

-> check mesh for holes and ideally close them

-> up resolution for smoothest surface possible

-> export as obj.

ps: the mesh should be optimized for cnc cutting

let me screenshot the steps, so you can see the settings i use, and where i should tweak for better results.

ok

1) import:

i scale the size to about 100.000 polys. can i hit "make mesh closed" here, to close holes?

import.JPG

2) more smoothness needed. subdividing here does not work, so i go for quadrangulation.

retopo.JPG

3) i would then go and quadrangulate the object (settings ok?)

quadr.JPG

4) the quadrangulated mesh

retopo2.JPG

5) i hit "subdivide 3x" to dense the mesh

retopo3.JPG

6) ready for export

export.JPG

4) thats what the file looks like in cinema4d. not really smooth though

c4d.JPG

ok ... i am sure, there is a better method than the one i chose ;) can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks for helping

markus

www.humanchaos.net

• Advanced Member

Hi markus,

Since you are preparing the model for CNC cutting, I don't understand why you use quadrangulate. Isn't Triangle better than Quad for CNC? (Correct me if I'm wrong. :))

You can try another workflow:

1) The same as yours.

2) If you want more smoothness, you don't need quadrangulate. Just play with "Inc.res" and "Smooth all" those 2 buttons in Voxel room. Hold on "W" key to preview the triangle mesh wireframe. (It is mentioned in my "3D-Coat Hotkeys Master")

3. Go to "File" - "Export" -"Export scene". This will export a high-poly triangle mesh.

Hope this helps.

Hi markus,

Since you are preparing the model for CNC cutting, I don't understand why you use quadrangulate. Isn't Triangle better than Quad for CNC? (Correct me if I'm wrong. :))

You can try another workflow:

1) The same as yours.

2) If you want more smoothness, you don't need quadrangulate. Just play with "Inc.res" and "Smooth all" those 2 buttons in Voxel room. Hold on "W" key to preview the triangle mesh wireframe. (It is mentioned in my "3D-Coat Hotkeys Master")

3. Go to "File" - "Export" -"Export scene". This will export a high-poly triangle mesh.

Hope this helps.

cool ... thank you very much for the tipp. will try right away.

one question though if i may:

-> does "make mesh closed" in the voxel room do what it promises, and make a mesh really "waterproof"? ie: is it the appropriate method to get models fit for rapid prototyping?

-> does merge as skin add real thickness to the mesh? (an important requirement for rapid prototyping as well)

thanks for helping again

markus

If it answers your question, all voxel meshes are waterproof, that's just the way voxels work. Closing it first is just because sometimes open meshes come in a little messy.

ok got it :) thanks for the patience ...

markus

one more question: provided i have a closed mesh, does "merge as skin" in the voxels param window really add thickness to the mesh? the thickness i would use to produce a rapid prototyping model?