3DCoat Forums

Question regarding shaders and paint mode

indigone

I'm really just getting started with this. I seem to only be able to use shaders in Voxel mode. I guess this would be great if I were using Voxels, but I'm not (yet). If I have a mesh that I've imported and am painting, it isn't possible to apply a shader to it?

If I have the mesh, I can click on Voxel mode, and I have a little sphere that I can apply a shader to, but not my mesh. Is this correct? I don't have many textures to apply to my meshes, especially with relevant bump/spec maps.

Thank you. :)

Indi.

• Advanced Member

I'm really just getting started with this. I seem to only be able to use shaders in Voxel mode. I guess this would be great if I were using Voxels, but I'm not (yet). If I have a mesh that I've imported and am painting, it isn't possible to apply a shader to it?

If I have the mesh, I can click on Voxel mode, and I have a little sphere that I can apply a shader to, but not my mesh. Is this correct? I don't have many textures to apply to my meshes, especially with relevant bump/spec maps.

Thank you. :)

Indi.

At this time the shaders are more of a modelling aid.

they are not for shading the polygon surfaces...

I am not sure if this is planned to change. The shader for your surface is your paint - you paint on the surface (specular, and diffuse colors, as well as normal or displacement etc)... this is rendered in a standardized way - but... nope - shaders don't shade surfaces, only voxels - at this time.

• Contributor

Yeah,shaders are only for voxels but when you bake normal map between the Voxel sculpt and the poly mesh over it,

3DCoat automatically bakes the voxel shader down to a color layer in Paint Room,

what is great is that if you used a shader with Bump like Marble shader,

3DCoat will also bake the bump of the shader and put it in the normal map layer.

It gives superb shader baking from all angles except bottom.

If your mesh is not too heavy (400 000 polys and below) and closed (no unshelled holes)

Here is what you can do:

-Import into retopo room and press Enter

-In voxel Room create a new layer,and select the Merge Tool--there click on "Pick From Retopo".

-You can Press "Subdivide" button once if model is lowres,and press Enter and wait...

-Once mesh is merged to voxel layer choose Marble shader for example and play with its settings if you like

-Then in Retopo menu you choose "Merge for perpixel with normal map" for baking.

(For merging settings choose Keep Uvs if your original mesh got Uvs)

And 3DCoat is doing the rest... :)