3DCoat Forums

Idea:Copy Brush working with E-Panel tools

artman

• Contributor

idea:COPY BRUSH working with E-Panel tools

I recently found out you implemented real opacity between voxel layers when changing shaders opacity parameter.

I have no idea of when you did this. :)

So now it opens the most powerful and fluid extrusion method in 3DCoat.

which is :

Using transform to scale up/down a voxel layer copy with 0.05 opacity and then

using Copy brush to create custom contiguous extrusions +/or - with Ctrl.

It works as fast as the sphere brush .

E-Panel tools with this workflow would be as quick and precise extrusions as Google SketchUp.

It is the missing element.

(Backmasking of E-panel actions would help with this trick too,altough it is not essential).

• Advanced Member

A small technical nit to pick about transparency - because you brought it up - I have been wanting to point this out but couldn't think of where - and this isn't the best place :D but!!! :)

As I have found in my experimentation - REAL transparency still doesn't exist - voxels are painted in order from top to bottom.

If a lower object is transparent, the upper objects will show through... but lower objects will not show through upper objects.

The transparency is quite useable for what you described ;) I have ZERO argument there ;) just wanted to point this out.

note the ice-cube is below the enclosed object...

post-2065-12607943017054_thumb.jpg

Here's a better image... notice how you can see one behind the other, but not the other... since there's overlapping regions you should be able to see how one is trans and the other is not :)

post-2065-12607957199129_thumb.jpg

(hopefully you don't mind if I hijacked your posts to make a point :D... )

NICE!!! :) your idea here works GREAT!!! you can make a clone of a part, extrude it by some amount, and then use that as the reference to copy from. That's a neat trick :) of course... once you paint up to the "copy surface" then what... you're stuck??? not if you've saved a second copy of your original... now you can hide the extrueded one, then ctrl+copy and paint BACK DOWN to the original.

nice all around.

--- bTW, is this what you were talking about or was there something else really cool?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

NICE!!! :) your idea here works GREAT!!! you can make a clone of a part, extrude it by some amount, and then use that as the reference to copy from. That's a neat trick :) of course... once you paint up to the "copy surface" then what... you're stuck??? not if you've saved a second copy of your original... now you can hide the extrueded one, then ctrl+copy and paint BACK DOWN to the original.

nice all around.

--- bTW, is this what you were talking about or was there something else really cool?

Yeah !!:) This is exaxtly what I was talking about.

Sorry for late reply I forgot I even wrote this. :pardon:

But anyway now,I found the perfect workaround using voxel Hide tool.

It was freaking right under my nose.

Extrusions pos

-Clone Layer

-Scale cloned layer to desired extrusion height.

-Select Hide tool and Hide the whole layer with Rectangle selection.

-Now holding Ctrl you can use splines,lasso,polygonal lassos to create non-overlapping extrusions! :D

Extrusions neg

-Clone Layer

-Scale source layer to desired extrusion height.

-Select Hide tool and create your negative extrusions with selection tools

-lastly restore affected backfaces by using rectangle and holding Ctrl.

Advantages:

Complete control over extrusions allowing the use of multiple spline drawing(non-additive) instead of just one.

Also no stretching of surface,more control over polycount of scene ect..