3DCoat Forums

Retopo export complete mirror model :

Ratchet

• Advanced Member

-It would be great to be able to export the entire reotpolgy model when in mirror mode :

this way no need to use another tool to re make the entire model weld the vertices of symmetry plane !

Another point of workflow :

-I make an human in Voxel, than retopo to create a low poly armor

-export teh armor from retopo view ( we cannot export the entire model only the half :( )

-In Voxel mode use the add function to import the armore model and subdivide it, make it thin (parameters)

Well to do that we have to export the armor from retopo , than re import in voxel mode :(

Why not doing like Zbrush : create a separate low poly armor in a layer, and use it in voxel mode directly by adjusting subdivision and volume ?

• Advanced Member

I find some sort of first solution by browsing the Ogre model in the WIP section :

it is said :

Yes, everything was modeled in voxels. To create the armor it is really kinda easy.

I use the retopo room to lay out the polygons for the shoulder pieces and add extrusion to push them away from the body.

Next i return to the Voxel room, create a new layer and select cloth, and use the "pick from retopo". But instead of treating it as cloth and starting a simulation you can simply adjust the thickness and press enter and you then have a new object in the shape that you retopoed.

I find this extremely easy to create hard surfaces. Also you can use it to boolean out shapes by control + enter (this is useful if you want to cut into an object but not go all the way through)

That's a solution , but it should be more easy to do without use the Cloth module ! like in Zbrush !

• Reputable Contributor

Maybe I am not understanding something right about what you say in exporting a model in mirror or symmetry mode. I do not export a model while in that mode. Under the retopo tool menu, select apply symmetry.

Next turn symmetry off and then export your whole model. No need to mirror and weld vertices in another application. Sorry if I misunderstood what you said...

My workflow is that has I retopo, at different stages I will apply symmetry,(binds your symmetrical halves together.) then I turn symmetry off to check the mesh for any problems, Turn symmetry back on and keep retopoing.

• Advanced Member

Maybe I am not understanding something right about what you say in exporting a model in mirror or symmetry mode. I do not export a model while in that mode. Under the retopo tool menu, select apply symmetry.

Next turn symmetry off and then export your whole model. No need to mirror and weld vertices in another application. Sorry if I misunderstood what you said...

My workflow is that has I retopo, at different stages I will apply symmetry,(binds your symmetrical halves together.) then I turn symmetry off to check the mesh for any problems, Turn symmetry back on and keep retopoing.

I'll try it it seams that you have the solution :)