3DCoat Forums

Problems importing mesh

lothissen

You're problem is that the resolution isn't high enough. 17140 isn't very much for a full character. You can see it when you look at the wireframe (hold the W key). The way to fix this is to select your model file to merge, then you get a proxy object in the scene, watch that Estimated Polycount while you scale up the proxy object with the white cube in the middle of the gizmo.

The amount depends on what you're doing with it. What you can do is scale it up a little and hit Enter. If it's not enough detail hit Undo and scale it up some more, hit Enter, etc. If you're planning to use it as a base to sculpt on you should keep it fairly low.

You're problem is that the resolution isn't high enough. 17140 isn't very much for a full character. You can see it when you look at the wireframe (hold the W key). The way to fix this is to select your model file to merge, then you get a proxy object in the scene, watch that Estimated Polycount while you scale up the proxy object with the white cube in the middle of the gizmo.

The amount depends on what you're doing with it. What you can do is scale it up a little and hit Enter. If it's not enough detail hit Undo and scale it up some more, hit Enter, etc. If you're planning to use it as a base to sculpt on you should keep it fairly low.

Thanks, that help the detail in the model but it's not so much the the murky details as the trails i'm getting from the hands to the body and sometimes the chin downwards that are getting on my nerves.

I've increased the resolution to around 170150 and still get that problem.

Any adive

• Reputable Contributor

Phil was correct in mentioning your low polycount number. Another cause of what you are seeing is that you could have a hole in your mesh. Holes in the mesh causes the strands of voxels.

So you might have some unmerged vertices. That creates a hole you cannot even see. Use your modeling program to merged duplicate or unmerged vertices.

Also if you have holes like say for the eye sockets then you would have to choose to make mesh closed on import or merge as skin.

The two solutions above have helped a number of 3DC users to fix the same kind of import problem.

Last thing you can do is upload the obj file here and I will take a look at it...

Phil was correct in mentioning your low polycount number. Another cause of what you are seeing is that you could have a hole in your mesh. Holes in the mesh causes the strands of voxels.

So you might have some unmerged vertices. That creates a hole you cannot even see. Use your modeling program to merged duplicate or unmerged vertices.

Also if you have holes like say for the eye sockets then you would have to choose to make mesh closed on import or merge as skin.

The two solutions above have helped a number of 3DC users to fix the same kind of import problem.

Last thing you can do is upload the obj file here and I will take a look at it...

Yes, those streaks of voxels have been solved for me every time by clicking the Make Mesh Closed button before I hit Enter (or the Apply button).

Thank you very much gentlemen, that work perfectly! No more streaks on the model and very little distortion as well, thank you both.