3DCoat Forums

1.843 works with included OBJ files but crashes when I use my own

wackedoutbiker

Well, it appears that 3d Brush works well with the OBJ files included with the program itself, and the 3b files saved from painting those work perfectly fine when I load them.

HOWEVER, I get bugs and errors whenever I use my own. I suspect that the MilkShape 3d 1.8.1b OBJ file exporter may have something to do with it.

Does anyone know what is required of an OBJ file before I use it with 3d brush? I mean, what kind of things should I avoid as well?

And also, if there are any good file converters for OBJ files that anyone knows about, that would be absloutely great.

Well, it appears that 3d Brush works well with the OBJ files included with the program itself, and the 3b files saved from painting those work perfectly fine when I load them.

HOWEVER, I get bugs and errors whenever I use my own. I suspect that the MilkShape 3d 1.8.1b OBJ file exporter may have something to do with it.

Does anyone know what is required of an OBJ file before I use it with 3d brush? I mean, what kind of things should I avoid as well?

And also, if there are any good file converters for OBJ files that anyone knows about, that would be absloutely great.

Requrements:

1) Model should be UV-mapped. It is better if it is uv-mapped without overlaps or mirror mapping. If model have UV-overlaps or mirror then you should load it with option "Remain clusters" in open dialog. If model is not uv-mapped, you can try to select "Auto-mapping", but it is not the best chice.

2)It is good (but not strictly required) if model have no long triangles. If not, then you can try to load the model with the option "Adaptive subdivision".

3)If it does not works, please send me your OBJ file to support@3d-brush.com, then I will try to fix it soon.

Well, I got it imported successfully...I just have to eliminate the materials that are often auto-assigned by OBJ exporters, I guess...

Would you like me to post an image of my work at some point in the next few weeks?

It will be great if you will post some image! We are really need something to gallery. Now the gallery is really poor...