3DCoat Forums

Mat Question

therainking

Howdy,

I may be an idiot, but I can't figure out how to apply already created/exiting materials/mtl's from an exported object. As an example, I have a fully textured model in Daz Studio that I want to bring into 3d coat for tweaking. I have a good working mechanism that gives me the results I'm looking for for the model itself in 3dcoat, but it doesn't come in with any mats or textures.

I went all through the wiki but can't figure out how to do this, if it's even possible?

Thanks for any tips.

TRK

If there is an .mtl file 3DC should automatically detect it and load it normally. Does it have the same file name, like model.obj and model.mtl?

I'll double check. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with my import settings? EDIT: I just checked, and the names do match up.

• Reputable Contributor

I thought about it some more and realised that really there is no reason that 3DCoat could not read the .mtl file. I simply dragged the obj file and the .mtl file into the maps folder and then all the textures loaded in 3DCoat. Since the mtl. file is in the Maps folder and the reference to the textures are relative now they load.

Dummy me...

I deleted the other post but it still works the other way I shown you too.

I thought about it some more and realised that really there is no reason that 3DCoat could not read the .mtl file. I simply dragged the obj file and the .mtl file into the maps folder and then all the textures loaded in 3DCoat. Since the mtl. file is in the Maps folder and the reference to the textures are relative now they load.

Dummy me...

I deleted the other post but it still works the other way I shown you too.

Yup, it's all workin' swell now. Now I've just got to figure out how to get 3d-coat to perform graphically on par with my other 3d apps. It's a bit sluggish comapared to Mudbox and DS|3 with the same models. I haven't tried DX mode yet though yet.

Thanks again. Big help.