3DCoat Forums

Performance Tip

AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

I've done some online research on the subject and found that you can take a relatively inexpensive step to boost system performance...especially when using 3DC, but the catch is that it's only for Windows Vista and 7. It's called ReadyBoost, and it's a feature of the latest version of Windows. Windows 7 allows more than 4GB and multiple flash drives to be utilized.

What it does is use the flash memory as an alternate pagefile. Long sequential files can be as fast or faster on a regular Hard Drive (it's read/write times are generally faster than a thumb drive), but a HD bogs down when there are calls for RANDOM files. This is where flash memory shines. Windows supposedly determines which source will do which faster, and chooses that source.

One thing I discovered is that your average thumb flash drive is actually relatively slow...around 3-5Mbps Read/ 2-3Mbps Write. Most thumb drives don't even list it's speed, so you have to do some digging online to find a high performance model. They aren't that much more expensive either. I would suggest an 8-16GB model. Here are a few examples:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220252

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220253

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220471

You'll be surprised to see how much and often this drive is used. You can monitor is by opening "Resource Monitor" in Windows (can click on it in Tesk Manager). I notice it's use many times in 3DC, such as right after a brush stroke, and the best thing is that you'll notice much less lag when you system approaches it's RAM limit. One note for anyone who uses this...by default many drives default to FAT32 (which has a 4GB limit), and I think it may be for cross platform compatibility (PC/MAC)...but if you have a thumb drive larger than 4GB, make sure to format first as NTFS, which will allow you to use the full amount.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the tip. I do already have a ready boost but its a DSE 4GB. I am currently using Vista 32 but soon wish to upgrade to win 7. I'll definitely be getting 1 of those you gave a thread for to go with it.

Would there be any value, as far as performance goes, in using a 32gb or larger one?

• Advanced Member

I've seen advise stating to go for the same amount as physical ram.

I've been using a 4GB readyboost on my 8GB system with Win7 Pro & for me it seems fine.

It does increase the amount of disk activity as it is obviously 'paging' (in it's own readyboost way) to and from commonly used program files.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the tip. I do already have a ready boost but its a DSE 4GB. I am currently using Vista 32 but soon wish to upgrade to win 7. I'll definitely be getting 1 of those you gave a thread for to go with it.

Would there be any value, as far as performance goes, in using a 32gb or larger one?

Windows recommends at least a 1 to 1 ratio...in reference to RAM. So, if you have 4GB RAM, it works more efficiently if you use a drive with at least the same amount (I'm assuming it may be to enable the entire contents of currently stored data on RAM to be offloaded to the flash drive...this way it doesn't have to divide the contents between the flash drive and the HD).

Having more than enough, and not always needing it, is better than not having enough whenever you need it. I got the 16GB Patriot XT drive, and it's frequently active when working in 3DC. You can see the little light flashing when active, and I noticed, when working in voxels, that oftentimes when I let up from a brush stroke, it immediately lights up and loads data for about 3 sec. So when smoothing, I'll often let up and count that and keep brushing away. Seems to keep things running smooth, whereas before it seemed like the longer I would go the harder it was to get consistent brush performance/response. I don't know if that was indicative of a memory leak or what...Andrew never answered back when I brought the issue up the other day.

I may go and buy a SSD disk (32-64GB), and use it for my pagefile...and then use the Raptor HD that I currently use for the pagefile, as temp storage of any footage I use when compositing or video editing.

• Advanced Member

Hey Don, I was about to build an SSD powered rig a few months back (but didn't as I tricked the Dell checkout into 25% off. cackle) and the so-called conventional wisdom was don't set an SSD to be a swap drive as over-thrashing of read-writes would cause the drive to reach its maximum number of cycles (and cease to work) too quickly.

This was about 6mo. ago so don't know if things have improved since then.

Just second-hand info but thought worth sharing.

• Reputable Contributor

Hey Don, I was about to build an SSD powered rig a few months back (but didn't as I tricked the Dell checkout into 25% off. cackle) and the so-called conventional wisdom was don't set an SSD to be a swap drive as over-thrashing of read-writes would cause the drive to reach its maximum number of cycles (and cease to work) too quickly.

This was about 6mo. ago so don't know if things have improved since then.

Just second-hand info but thought worth sharing.

I remember reading where someone asked one of the Microsoft developers about the same thing regarding the flash drives, and he said they did extensive testing and that the drives should last roughly 10yrs or so...which is forever in computer terms. I think it's funny that it's roughly the same type of storage as RAM, but there are concerns about it's durability? Odd...I would think platter HD's would be more prone to wearing down.