3DCoat Forums

Britain

• Advanced Member

Hello,

I'm totally new with this program. But I need to get samples to justify a purchase.

Yesterday I was successful a couple of times painting and exporting the file obj. But many of the files became a traingular mess.

If someone could get me a link or some pointers in

1 Texture an object and export it with the texture

2 Paint the object with the texture and export it.

This program look like it will do what I want but does have a learning curve which I need to bypass a bit.

I'm on the road a lot and manytimes without internet so I would prefer something I can read.

Thanks!

Got a screen shot?

As for texturing, you don't have to export the mesh if all you're doing is painting texture, you can simply export the textures and apply them to your existing mesh in whatever application you choose. Unless you're editing the UVs in 3DC, then you'll need to export the mesh as well, you can simply do it by going to:

File>Export>Export Model

Select your options and you'll have the model and textures you selected with the export options.

If you want to export just the textures go to:

Textures>Export

And export the textures you need here.

As for some materials, I am not sure there are any written materials other than the PDF Manual that we do, and that only gives a brief over view on the tools. But, you can view many different videos here:

http://vimeo.com/channels/3dctraining

Also, there will be a video in the coming days covering import and export options for texturing in MV, PP and Ptex.

• Advanced Member

Thanks, down loaded a lot of info today. Will watch and read up. Good chance the errors were probably me.

Will do some more trials. I really like what I see so far.

• Advanced Member

Ok I'm back and have learned a few things and still have some issues. I have not been successfull in exporting displacement. Though I have exported the displacement and sometimes 3dC doesnt export the displacement. Its clear and most likey something I'm doing wrong. I have followed the training vids but still cant get a handle on this. Yes I export with the displacement checked. Some pointers here please.

edit: when using the pens for depth and then exporting the obj, on import the obj shows no depth or whats been done.