3DCoat Forums

Last, best version for retopo?

Greg

• Contributor

EDIT: This seems fixed now! Working great. I've taken down the example video mentioned below. Good work Andrew and thanks!

Hi,

I've been having the same retopology problems others have mentioned. Which older version seems to have the most stable, usable retopology tools?

Thanks,

Greg

• Reputable Contributor

Hi,

I've been having the same retopology problems others have mentioned. Which older version seems to have the most stable, usable retopology tools?

Thanks,

Greg

I'm using the latest (3.3.04 x64 w/CUDA), as I reported a number of things which Andrew has since fixed. What are some of the issues you are having, now? I noticed that the Strokes tool likes Voxel Volume mode better than working on a cached or surface mode model. And if you have trouble with the Points and faces tool, I found that adjusting the "Additional Extrusion" up a bit, tends to make it work better in those circumstances. I usually can bring it back down to 0 shortly thereafter, without any real issues. It's still not 100%, but it's not been nearly as bad as it was a few builds ago....and I'd say it works predictably now about 95-98% of the time.

• Contributor

Thanks, I was using it in surface mode. I'll try it with voxels instead(strokes tool was the main thing giving me problems). I'll also try the adjustment you mentioned.

Too bad though, cause when I did get strokes to work in surface mode, it seemed much faster than in voxel... just didn't work reliably.

Greg

• Contributor

Just tried it in voxel mode, and it does seem a little better. I could be wrong about the speed increase doing retopo in surface mode.

I think what's really bothering me is that sometimes I'll do the strokes, wait, and then nothing - no polygons. Sometimes, do the strokes and some of the polygons show up along with some kind of dotted line looking thing? Like strange artifacts where polygons should be. So, I have to undo and try again, wait, etc.

I'm sure it will all be sorted out in time, but it made me wonder if an older version perhaps didn't have those problems.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks, I was using it in surface mode. I'll try it with voxels instead(strokes tool was the main thing giving me problems). I'll also try the adjustment you mentioned.

Too bad though, cause when I did get strokes to work in surface mode, it seemed much faster than in voxel... just didn't work reliably.

Greg

I sent Andrew a bug report with video capture and scene file...that was a few days ago, and he's been fairly silent, so that means he's likely hard at work fixing it among other improvements.

One thing I noticed on his Twitter page, was that he's enhanced the Strokes tool. I asked if he could allow us to make clean straight lines in a "Point to Point" fashion (click start point, hold SHIFT, and click second/end point). I think that would make Retopo work on non-cylindrical shaped objects much faster and cleaner from the start...removing a lot Clean Up, having to go back and manually straighten up your topolgy. We'll see in the next build, I suppose.

• Reputable Contributor

Just tried it in voxel mode, and it does seem a little better. I could be wrong about the speed increase doing retopo in surface mode.

I think what's really bothering me is that sometimes I'll do the strokes, wait, and then nothing - no polygons. Sometimes, do the strokes and some of the polygons show up along with some kind of dotted line looking thing? Like strange artifacts where polygons should be. So, I have to undo and try again, wait, etc.

I'm sure it will all be sorted out in time, but it made me wonder if an older version perhaps didn't have those problems.

What Strokes point density do you have? I usually set it around 50% on objects with a good deal of contour. Maybe 25% or less on more flat opjects. On the whole, this last build seems to be behaving for me.

• Contributor

What Strokes point density do you have? I usually set it around 50% on objects with a good deal of contour. Maybe 25% or less on more flat opjects. On the whole, this last build seems to be behaving for me.

I hadn't really messed with those setting. I'm going to now though! :)

Greg

• Reputable Contributor

I hadn't really messed with those setting. I'm going to now though! :)

Greg

I was just using the Strokes tool and encountered the exact same issue you were having. I reported it to Andrew, and hopefully it can get fixed. That's been the thing with the retopo tools, that has been really frustrating the dickens out of me. A tool working 75% of the time doesn't help me much...I need it to work reliably, not intermittently. That's why it's best to show Andrew with a video that demonstrates the exact behavior and send the file you were working on.

He may say, "It works fine here"...but it's hard to argue with video evidence that there is indeed a problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtS_z0DASx8

• Contributor

Yep, that video pretty much shows some of what I was talking about. When I recorded my 'work along' for vimeo, I edited out a bunch of stroke tool do-overs. I noticed when the stroke around something doesn't turn orange, or when it's orange and green you're in trouble. I'm hope Andrew will get this one fixed soon though. It's really an important part and selling point of 3D Coat IMO.

• Contributor

I've posted a video of the problems I'm having here:

http://www.vimeo.com/12713942

In HD! :) If the problems are user-inflicted (i.e. if I'm not using that tool right), be sure to tell me.

The wait time between hitting enter and what you see was shortened on my video.

I'll be sure to delete it after Andrew watches it.

Greg

• Reputable Contributor

I've posted a video of the problems I'm having here:

http://www.vimeo.com/12713942

In HD! :) If the problems are user-inflicted (i.e. if I'm not using that tool right), be sure to tell me.

The wait time between hitting enter and what you see was shortened on my video.

I'll be sure to delete it after Andrew watches it.

Greg

Yeah...I get the same thing, and I've tried everything too. Previously, it was working fine....on a relatively flat object. I seem to remember the Strokes tool always having relatively spotty behavior...same with the Points and faces tool. The only one that I know of that works reliably is the Quads tool.

Here's another example that shows the strokes often don't form a closed loop and even when they do, it's still not a certainty that it will work properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ABDZzw2DM

• Contributor

This seems fixed now! Working great as far as I can tell. I've taken down the example video mentioned above. Good work Andrew and thanks!

• Contributor

I haven't noticed a new build...so, what did you do to resolve the problem?

I think 3.3.05 [beta] is a new build as of today, Andrew just didn't update the text I guess. The file size is a little larger than the 3.3.05 [beta] I downloaded the other day, and it seems to work great. :) Either that, or it's the heat here in Tennessee has gotten to me!

Greg

• Reputable Contributor

I think 3.3.05 [beta] is a new build as of today, Andrew just didn't update the text I guess. The file size is a little larger than the 3.3.05 [beta] I downloaded the other day, and it seems to work great. :) Either that, or it's the heat here in Tennessee has gotten to me!

Greg

Thanks...yeah THAT part seems fixed...but don't celebrate just yet. They green line you use to create a cross section with, is not working right now. It was working fine in previous builds, but it's not laying down enough points to accurately follow any curvature.

http://vimeo.com/12760277

Thanks...yeah THAT part seems fixed...but don't celebrate just yet. They green line you use to create a cross section with, is not working right now. It was working fine in previous builds, but it's not laying down enough points to accurately follow any curvature.

http://vimeo.com/12760277

I see you have the density at 107%, can you crank it up even higher? I found that depending on the scale of the object I might have to crank it way up, but it worked fine once I did.

• Reputable Contributor

I see you have the density at 107%, can you crank it up even higher? I found that depending on the scale of the object I might have to crank it way up, but it worked fine once I did.

Thanks, but I tried it all the way up to 400, and had the same problem. Andrew said it happens with small scale objects and that was supposedly one of the things he addressed with this latest build. The previous builds laid down a lot of points, whereas 3.3.05 was greatly reduced.