3DCoat Forums

Anatomy For Artists

• Advanced Member

I totally agree artman.

I have some good reasons to be offensive here, I think most of you understand this.

Now if you have been doing a reproduction of a sculpt made by another artist based on that same fisherman the result would have been less powerful

This goes for photos too artman, I'm afraid so. I used photo references for paintings, but the best came always in front of the real model.

So, we have mirrors, why not some self portraits, or anatomic studies? I don't need to be a bodybuilder to do this, do I? :)

Ancient greek sculptures, what did they know about anatomy? A lot maybe but how?

Here is a story.

Feidias (they say) used to have a model in an almost dark room with a candle in his hand. And he was touching the models. But in renaissance, after middle ages, people was shy, so they invested anatomy. In place of feeling, knowledge now.

This is the story of art by me (LOL). Going backwards in time the better art is.

Artman, the fisherman was just a brake and much easier than ancient sculpts. I have to continue my studies now. Five studies, one brake. Its hard to keep it this way.

"When copying a masterpiece you learn something important

When you imitate an artists style, you probably imitate all his bad habits."

Picasso said this, but sorry for my english, never read it in this language.

• Advanced Member

You don't realize what you're saying, some of you here. You can't understand why we have museums. You do not believe in humanity, you do not believe in education. You may feel like gods. Good luck. But I call this "brutality" and "offencive".

Everything you said sounds reasonable? Even 'anatomy' is a word that these old artists invested. YOU WILL NEVER understand what to show and what to hide.

Another one user, some days ago, said that Picasso was not a good artist. Interesting.

Every time I see these "fascistic" supermen, orcs, soldiers, etc with all this castrated 'anatomy', I start thinking that this civilization came to an end.

Do you feel ready to be artists? To do what you feel mostly and not what you know?

Do what you have to do anyway. You have more serious problems though. And you definitely don't help me as a person.

You play the part of the conflicted and tortured artist very well. You're gonna go far..

:p:

• Advanced Member
You play the part of the conflicted and tortured artist very well. You're gonna go far..

I don't play anything. I'm just trying to say something about 'anatomy'. A reference photo or an anatomic chart could lead to the worst misunderstandings you could imagine. These old artists are teaching us the deeper meaning of composition. What's wrong?

conflicted and tortured artist? I have lot of fun here. What I do in my real studio is not your concern and you probably don't want to have a look there. Psychological ideas like torture don't have a place in this conversation. IMO of course.

This 'you're gonna far' well ... THANK YOU.

• Advanced Member

let me say that in my opinion,michalis,the subject that we are discussing is probably the artistic style.i mean realistic,expressionist,surrealistic,hiperrealistic whatever.

in CG the mainstream is no doubt the 1-hyperrealistic as the goal is to achive that in renders,lighting,details,2-the american comic style (superheroes)with that accent on some anatomy.

our actual civilization is populated by technology against nature (machines everywhere and death of older traditions)so its art is very fantasist and ALIENatory (orcs,robots,selfdestruction)and ARTificial!

i think we are in Renaissence now ,learning how to represent human body and perspective with this new medium and at the same time entering Barrocco with stylization and distortion.only after the firsts of us will be entering again in the raw power of primitiv art .

i respect your work very much and understand your passion and urge to create but im sure anyone choosing this tool here in this forum is our companion and is free to choose is path.because among the imperfections and constant changes of the tool we are relly helping and learning from each others so we can use it for something interesting.

then i would remenber you of that ciclades statues that are very interesting in their style .and also EL GRECCO the painter from Toledo nearby me as im in Portugal.as his style,and colors touch me because are simple and effective. and last i should mention VAN GOGH by the way he strugles with materials and use them simple and effective to present something .

• Advanced Member

let me say that in my opinion,michalis,the subject that we are discussing is probably the artistic style.i mean realistic,expressionist,surrealistic,hiperrealistic whatever.

in CG the mainstream is no doubt the 1-hyperrealistic as the goal is to achive that in renders,lighting,details,2-the american comic style (superheroes)with that accent on some anatomy.

our actual civilization is populated by technology against nature (machines everywhere and death of older traditions)so its art is very fantasist and ALIENatory (orcs,robots,selfdestruction)and ARTificial!

i think we are in Renaissence now ,learning how to represent human body and perspective with this new medium and at the same time entering Barrocco with stylization and distortion.only after the firsts of us will be entering again in the raw power of primitiv art .

i respect your work very much and understand your passion and urge to create but im sure anyone choosing this tool here in this forum is our companion and is free to choose is path.because among the imperfections and constant changes of the tool we are relly helping and learning from each others so we can use it for something interesting.

then i would remenber you of that ciclades statues that are very interesting in their style .and also EL GRECCO the painter from Toledo nearby me as im in Portugal.as his style,and colors touch me because are simple and effective. and last i should mention VAN GOGH by the way he strugles with materials and use them simple and effective to present something .

Very thoughtful and well articulated.

Thank you,

P. Monk

• Advanced Member
i would remenber you of that ciclades statues that are very interesting in their style

IMO of course

There are some common principles in the art of all civilizations. It looks like. I tried to to talk about it. I'm not talking about talent because I'm not sure if this exists. Lets say that we all are talented.

Its really interesting to study a "cycladic" statuette. Try it, you may find yourself in real trouble, I found this really difficult. I had the opportunity to have one of these in my hands. I closed my eyes and felt it, there was a real human in my hands. This was the real "time machine". I was touching and feel like the one artist ~5000 ago, difficult to explain.

Anyway, here's a try, I used blender only for this, a year ago, have fun.

• Advanced Member

Thanks moska, I told you about anatomy, you have to hold one of these in your hands and close your eyes. Difficult to explain.

A lot of studies like this before 3DC, but this is what I was trying to say. I used reference photos (front and side view), started to model in blender (base mesh), no retopo is needed this way. Then in blender surface sculpt room and tex painting.

The reason I bought 3dC was to avoid this "standard copy" method. Voxels are more close to reality, I learned a lot about sculpture this way. My sculpt studies are not exact copies now. I'm just trying to understand.

A new method, B3DC, A3DC :rolleyes: