3DCoat Forums

Anatomy For Artists

• Advanced Member

Thats interesting Phil, I may buy this. Thanks.

Meanwhile, anatomy studies are not enough, never was. And I'll post these photos (athens national museum), always difficult to find reference photos like these in books. Anatomy?, here is the real thing.

A great lesson. I use to visit AthMuseum and take photos like these. Start sculpting :)

Well if it's just photos you're looking for look at http://www.3d.sk . My only problem with that site is that the majority of the people look eastern European to me. Which in itself is not a problem, but they need more variety. Also I had a hard time finding models on that really show muscles. It's also a shame it's a lot more expensive now, when I was a member it was $10 a month, now it's close to $40.

• Applink Developer

Thanks Phil. Human anatomy is one the hardest thing to master. I have been reading many anatomy books lately, but not this one yet.

I will add this into my list and maybe in the future will read it too.

• Advanced Member

Hey I know 3dsk, I don't like it actually, same reasons. But phil, these here are not just photos, try to sketch something and I'm sure you'll realize that there's some magic here. You may covert it to even a troll and still the shapes will remain strong. Its all about abstract composition I guess.

I believe that human anatomy is not the hardest to learn, something deeper here.

AN ear for example, its easy to learn how an ear is but the key is between the ear and the eye. Edit an ear and then you have to change eyes, then nose, then ear again, what about these simple shapes between? :drinks:

• Reputable Contributor

My favorite Anatomy book is by Joseph Sheppard (Anatomy, A complete guide for artist). That is for the technical side of things. Capturing the human emotions we all so deeply feel and express through our bodies is what I hope "one day" to really impart in my work...

This unfinished 2d sketch of a man, even though he is strong, looks loney or at least I worked at imparting that feeling. Michalis, does a great job on converying human emotion in his 3D work...

post-518-12770657248698_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

This person was posing but he looked kinda loney.He is not from the book, as the book is more on the technical side of muscle structure etc. I just added my own desire on aspiring to capture anatomy and human emotion.The book you recommended is a good one which I soon will add to my collection...

I know a girl on Twitter who is a fantastic medical illustrator. I asked if she knew of any good (free) anatomy reference and she suggested this site: http://thinkanatomy.com/

She also added: "also good anatomists include Grant, Thieme, - Netter is correct but sometimes too didactic"

• Advanced Member

hey phil, try a study on what I posted, believe me, please. :) I have some good reasons... Its about shapes not just anatomy. Anatomically speaking, its perfect actually.

Its a game. What anatomy to show, what anatomy to hide.

Have any of you seen the "Dynamic Anatomy" range of books by Burne Hogarth?

http://www.amazon.co...t_athr_dp_pel_1

I originally bought the Dynamic Anatomy over 25yrs ago & subsequently bought all the other titles he'd ever released.

They're a great reference source.

Sorry if this isnt the place, but how do I download those images Michalis has placed. I want to use them as refs but cant, no function or blocked.

Right click>Save Image As

Since we're adding reference materials here....

I often use Pose Maniacs for my quick sketch sessions, I know it's not anatomy specific, per se, but it is certainly useful.

It's funny to think the reason I got into 3D about 12 years ago was that I was into comic book art (manga really), though not very good at it, I had trouble coming up with poses of my own. I just got my first modern computer not long before and discoverd Poser. I thought it would be great for reference, but then decided why not get a real 3D program and make my own characters to pose and use as reference. Kinda funny that I was still focusing on reference. Sadly I've hardly touched a sketchbook since then.

• Advanced Member

Thats interesting Phil, I may buy this. Thanks.

Meanwhile, anatomy studies are not enough, never was. And I'll post these photos (athens national museum), always difficult to find reference photos like these in books. Anatomy?, here is the real thing.

A great lesson. I use to visit AthMuseum and take photos like these. Start sculpting :)

I'm not sure if a sculpture is a good reference. Wouldn't photos of real people be much better?

If the original sculptor incorrectly captures certain features then you're going to reproduce the flaws too. But I know that you like to reproduce old sculptures and so that's fine. But I definitely wouldn't recommend them to somebody that's wanting to study real anatomy.

Since we're adding reference materials here....

I often use Pose Maniacs for my quick sketch sessions, I know it's not anatomy specific, per se, but it is certainly useful.

Sorry, I forgot to post the URL:

http://www.posemaniacs.com/

It's funny to think the reason I got into 3D about 12 years ago was that I was into comic book art (manga really), though not very good at it, I had trouble coming up with poses of my own. I just got my first modern computer not long before and discoverd Poser. I thought it would be great for reference, but then decided why not get a real 3D program and make my own characters to pose and use as reference. Kinda funny that I was still focusing on reference. Sadly I've hardly touched a sketchbook since then.

I know what you mean, It's hard to find the time. But, I've been forcing myself to do it, and I really regret it. Sketching/drawing has drastically improved my knowledge of anatomy and proportion since I started doing it again. Likewise, I was never really good at sketching, but my 3D knowledge over the years has really helped improve that too. It's funny, too, that one medium can help improve another one. I find that sketching helps my sculpting, sculpting improves my modeling and so on in a circular pattern. I can't recommend picking up a sketch pad and doodling for 30 minutes a day.

In that vein, it's amazing how much free time you can get if you cut out video games and movies or tv. ;)

I'm sure that wasnt there before, many thanks geothefaust.

No problem! I actually had the same thing happen to me before. I couldn't figure out why that when I right clicked, it was not giving me Save As options. It's weird really, but I think Vladimir the Webmaster has done something so that we could do so... Guessing here of course.

• Advanced Member

I'm not sure if a sculpture is a good reference. Wouldn't photos of real people be much better?

If the original sculptor incorrectly captures certain features then you're going to reproduce the flaws too. But I know that you like to reproduce old sculptures and so that's fine. But I definitely wouldn't recommend them to somebody that's wanting to study real anatomy.

Totally, its best to work from photos of real people or live models, also CG like poser models are crap for anatomy sketching, they look lovely and all but as soon as you deform them they loose all credibility. You could use them to pose i guess but you could use a box man for that and you'd be less likely to pollute your drawing with aspects of the model

heres some good links:(Nudity Warning) there are some really nicely lit/posed male/female nudes in the following links.

http://mjranum-stock.deviantart.com/

http://www.characterdesigns.com/index.php?sitepage=photosets

• Advanced Member

Live models you say eh? Now to figure out how to get a nude woman to stand in the T-pose in my living room for me while I work. :p:

its about 150-200 bucks an hour for a nude live model. You'd be better off with photos though, if you leave the curtains open your neighbours might think you have some kooky fetish about women doing aeroplane impressions.

if you go to photoset 39 at http://www.characterdesigns.com/index.php?sitepage=photosets there is a 360 female t pose

Seriously though if you can get to a life drawing class its a very beneficial experience, theres no substitute for 1st hand observation. you rarely get such a good sense of the tension of a pose from a illustration.

• Advanced Member

You don't realize what you're saying, some of you here. You can't understand why we have museums. You do not believe in humanity, you do not believe in education. You may feel like gods. Good luck. But I call this "brutality" and "offencive".

Everything you said sounds reasonable? Even 'anatomy' is a word that these old artists invested. YOU WILL NEVER understand what to show and what to hide.

Another one user, some days ago, said that Picasso was not a good artist. Interesting.

Every time I see these "fascistic" supermen, orcs, soldiers, etc with all this castrated 'anatomy', I start thinking that this civilization came to an end.

Do you feel ready to be artists? To do what you feel mostly and not what you know?

Do what you have to do anyway. You have more serious problems though. And you definitely don't help me as a person.

• Contributor

You don't realize what you're saying, some of you here. You can't understand why we have museums. You do not believe in humanity, you do not believe in education. You may feel like gods. Good luck. But I call this "brutality" and "offencive".

Everything you said sounds reasonable? Even 'anatomy' is a word that these old artists invested. YOU WILL NEVER understand what to show and what to hide.

Another one user, some days ago, said that Picasso was not a good artist. Interesting.

Every time I see these "fascistic" supermen, orcs, soldiers, etc with all this castrated 'anatomy', I start thinking that this civilization came to an end.

Do you feel ready to be artists? To do what you feel mostly and not what you know?

Do what you have to do anyway. You have more serious problems though. And you definitely don't help me as a person.

All great sculptors underwent some anatomic studies of real life models.

They were not only going to museums . :)

Masters are great but God is pretty good too...

I dont think anybody here is diminishing the value of the Masters...

They are just saying that studying anatomy from real life models or photos gives unbiased reference.

I really understand tough when you talk about "what to show and what to hide".But that its different than learning anatomy....Anatomy is just about skills and accuracy.

Now...interpretation of anatomy becomes art.This is when you study the Masters.

This is why your fisherman model has so much presence,you worked from a lightcutted paper of its presence in life.

Light bouncing from this human being at a unique infinitesimal moment.

A photo is not an interpretation.Its the rawest form of still life.

Now if you have been doing a reproduction of a sculpt made by another artist based on that same fisherman the result would have been less powerful

than you working directly from the source model...I think.