3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Material overlay.

rimasson

• Advanced Member

Hello,

I've got one feature request :

when a material is active, it's rather difficult to see the what's going on while you paint and sculpt on the model you're working on.

Why not hide the material overlay when you draw a stroke ?

• Advanced Member
2 rimasson: I can add something like "Auto-hide" mode

Andrew,

Any chance we can get a 'Lock Scale' toggle so that the material will maintain scale to the model when zooming in/out? This would be especially helpful with skin details or any other tiling texture.

As for hiding the material with a stroke, I've been using the sweet Cube-Mapping preview mode. The only improvement I could see there would be a UV-Mapping or some kind of Average Poly Normal mode, but otherwise works really well for 90% of purposes and hides the material while painting.

-Oliver

Andrew,

Any chance we can get a 'Lock Scale' toggle so that the material will maintain scale to the model when zooming in/out? This would be especially helpful with skin details or any other tiling texture.

As for hiding the material with a stroke, I've been using the sweet Cube-Mapping preview mode. The only improvement I could see there would be a UV-Mapping or some kind of Average Poly Normal mode, but otherwise works really well for 90% of purposes and hides the material while painting.

-Oliver

I can do that, but the only mathematical problem is to what point scale and position should be attached. May be to the last drawing point?

• Advanced Member
I can do that, but the only mathematical problem is to what point scale and position should be attached. May be to the last drawing point?

I don't know if a drawing point=stroke, but here's what I would imagine:

-pick material. material preview appears in viewport like normal

-user sets scale using either zoom or preview scale control to set desired ratio to model size

-user turns on lock scale toggle

-material scale locks. The user can rotate and zoom in as normal and material will scale to keep details in proportion.

-since material preview is still camera mapped pan/rotate would still be available, just scale locked.

In terms of how to pick which point to attach scale, I would have to defer to your knowledge of implementing code, I have no idea there.

-Oliver