3DCoat Forums

Auto reTopo Test

SYN7AX3RR0R

proflooney, here's a couple of thoughts on the retopo for that model.

- what do you inted to use this for?

if just to texture and do a still render, i would run an auto reTopo on it with general strokes, i wouldn't go crazy on it. pretty much what ever comes out will be good enough. the thing you have to get right is the density. i would go at least as dense as what i got in this example. i would even subdivide it in retopo one time to get extra detail. the mesh will still be 'light' enough for a still render.

for instance my retopo mesh is under 29 000 polys, with an extra subD it's under 115 000. that's nothing for a still render. this will hold your silhouette very good.

if you're struggling with the new auto reTopo algorithm with guides and density paint, just revert to the old auto retopo. for this you will need an extra subdiv in retopo room to hold up. after the retopo u need to UV it :)

if it's for animation, i doubt you can make it work. u should start with a more rig-standard symmetrical pose.

hope this helps

Thanks yes I have her in the standard Leonardo pose thats the one I figure would be best to work retopoing. she is abt 26k poly and I would like to cut that in half or so for animating. I get almost 7 mil polys in zbrush with her right now so I am not too worried abt subd for intricate details. My problem is I always want to have my models with super low polys that could be used for a game if wanted.

I just so new at modeling its hard for me lol im stuck on abt 25 to 28k polys because I can have nice base details without having to do a ton of work but would love to have at least half that but would love to have some 6k poly base models.

Joe

BTW this particular one is for a static display. I was trying to model her face to look like Lucy Liu but got frustrated and gave up. I would get her close then screw something up and just start over and so I got a face i was happy with and figure will work on my trying to do portrait sculpting on the side on just a bust for now.

anyone know why the prog wants to access my dvd drive and not my hard drive when I try autoretopo now? grrr I am needing to retopo this dinosaur for my scene because the polys are inconsistant and cant get it to fine detail good in some areas and 3d coat laughs at me when I try to load my model in. I sent off a bug report before but thought would try again after reinstalling but it still tries to access my disk drive then crashes

Joe

• Reputable Contributor

anyone know why the prog wants to access my dvd drive and not my hard drive when I try autoretopo now? grrr I am needing to retopo this dinosaur for my scene because the polys are inconsistant and cant get it to fine detail good in some areas and 3d coat laughs at me when I try to load my model in. I sent off a bug report before but thought would try again after reinstalling but it still tries to access my disk drive then crashes

Joe

I've never had anything like that. Weird....

Here is another test. Auto-Retopo, once you experiment and get a grasp of what settings work, it really can save a bunch of time. But the one problem I do have is that many times, it spirals edgeloops, so it's very difficult to get clean UV's and it can make cleanup a PITA sometimes. It's hard to expect perfection from an automated process, when you have so many different variables for the program to account for.