3DCoat Forums

Object Clone with "Step-and-Repeat" functionality

themacguy

I think this would be a GREAT add-on tool for 3DC....

Very useful for construction of "repeating" objects (say perhaps a simple primative cube to start off with...)

Parameters to consider....

LAYERS:

Clone result on SAME layer as the original object?

vs.

Results on a SINGLE new layer (presumably "child" layer linked the original object's layer)

OR

Results distributed across a SERIES of NEW layers.. (one per each "clone" copy)==this would allow mapping different colours to each object.

DISTANCE:

Distance of each "step" for the repeat clones... (How far? Which axis? or relative to WHAT anchoring object---What units of measurement make sense for this??)

ROTATION:

For each repeat clone (have EACH one of the clones be able to be CREATED with a step-function parameter, something like ...

(simple)=Rotate each clone 15 degrees clockwise on the X-axis, relative to the original object...

VERSUS

(Complex)= Rotate each clone 30 degrees clockwise on the X-axis AND rotate it 60 degrees clockwise on the Y-axis, AND rotate it 5 degrees counter-clockwise on the Z axis..

And to top all this off---how about "Nudge" keys for a selected object (pixels of X, Y, Z axis?

SYMMETRY

Definable "symmetry" of a series of cloned objects X, Y, Z axis of symmetry (relative to the orientation of the original object? or relative to world-space X, Y, Z axis?)

--How about adding RADIAL symmetry to this step-and-repeat clone function!? either around the centre of the original object, or around world-space, or around a selectable X, Y, Z co-ordinate?

I will be NEEDING tools like this, since I work mainly with a "geometrically derived" style of graphic illustration... (I'm not much of an "artist", but i'm a whizz of a "journeyman carpenter"... If I have geometrical manipulation tools to work with! :-)

Attached a few roughly laid out illustrations (took me about 2 hours!---with tools as described, would only take SECONDS...

post-4148-12916776061397_thumb.jpg

post-4148-12916776090074_thumb.jpg

post-4148-12916776107181_thumb.jpg

post-4148-12916776124433_thumb.jpg

post-4148-1291677614307_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

I will be NEEDING tools like this, since I work mainly with a "geometrically derived" style of graphic illustration... (I'm not much of an "artist", but i'm a whizz of a "journeyman carpenter"... If I have geometrical manipulation tools to work with! :-)

Attached a few roughly laid out illustrations (took me about 2 hours!---with tools as described, would only take SECONDS...

From what I have seen, It seems like you are using the wrong program for what you appear to be wanting to do. 3d-coat isn't really meant for creating a bunch of separate objects and arranging them

in a scene and rendering them. It's mostly meant for individual objects that are to be used in other rendering and animation software. Also, it really seems like a polygon modeling program would be

much better suited for "geometrically derived" objects. Did you see your other topic where I suggested taking a look at Blender? It's free and it's available on the Mac.

Tom