3DCoat Forums

AMD 12 core CPUs

digman

• Reputable Contributor

First, This is not a Intel vs AMD post. For about a 1,000 dollars you can get a AMD Opteron 12 core. I would like to have 3 for networking. 36 cores of rendering power that would be nice. I do know that rendering or modeling applications need to be optimized to fully take advantage of them but hey still would be fun and great for animation. OK, might has well stick a high end video card on the main server computer too.

High on the wish list it goes... :good:

Work is like love, It takes lot of giving for a few times of whoppie... (3 new 12 core cpus) :D

• Reputable Contributor

First, This is not a Intel vs AMD post. For about a 1,000 dollars you can get a AMD Opteron 12 core. I would like to have 3 for networking. 36 cores of rendering power that would be nice. I do know that rendering or modeling applications need to be optimized to fully take advantage of them but hey still would be fun and great for animation. OK, might has well stick a high end video card on the main server computer too.

High on the wish list it goes... :good:

Work is like love, It takes lot of giving for a few times of whoppie... (3 new 12 core cpus) :D

I looked into it before and realized there is one glaring issue with those Opteron CPU's. The clock speed is much slower than their desktop siblings (Phenom). The Opteron's are only 1.8-2.2Ghz with no Overclocking ability that I'm aware of. Conversely, the Phenom X6 1090 can be OC'ed to 4Ghz comfortably. So, even with rendering, I'm not sure the extra threads outmuscle the 6 cores running twice as fast.

• Reputable Contributor

You are correct in not being able to be overclocked the Opteron. I have overclocked many cpus that I have own but at this stage though I want the cpus to handle lots of stress which the Opteron line are designed to do. I'm just glad that the price point is so good, Gosh 12 solid cores for 1,000 dollars. If it comes to a pure money choice then, the 250 dollar AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban will do the job quite well. I will happy either way.mmmmm, that starts to look better, 500 dollars for 12... :p:

• Reputable Contributor

You are correct in not being able to be overclocked the Opteron. I have overclocked many cpus that I have own but at this stage though I want the cpus to handle lots of stress which the Opteron line are designed to do. I'm just glad that the price point is so good, Gosh 12 solid cores for 1,000 dollars. If it comes to a pure money choice then, the 250 dollar AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban will do the job quite well. I will happy either way.mmmmm, that starts to look better, 500 dollars for 12... :p:

Yeah...if you could fit 2 Phenom X6's (@4Ghz) on a server class Motherboard, that would be sick.