3DCoat Forums

B-mesh...

otsoa

There are at least 4 differences between this version of Bmesh and Zspheres:

1) Bmesh spheres are much easier to lay out (watch their video).

2) The generated, Quad dominant mesh is much more accurate and orderly.

3) General Multi-resolution is built in.

4) It appears that reposing can function without re-ordering the mesh. (Think animation).

Very promising - but will require detail sculpting in an app that is based on polygons, like Zbrush.

No point using this software if the mesh must be converted to voxels, followed by the construction of a polygonal mesh on top of it - defeats the purpose.

Greg Smith

• Contributor

There are at least 4 differences between this version of Bmesh and Zspheres:

1) Bmesh spheres are much easier to lay out (watch their video).

2) The generated, Quad dominant mesh is much more accurate and orderly.

3) General Multi-resolution is built in.

4) It appears that reposing can function without re-ordering the mesh. (Think animation).

Very promising - but will require detail sculpting in an app that is based on polygons, like Zbrush.

No point using this software if the mesh must be converted to voxels, followed by the construction of a polygonal mesh on top of it - defeats the purpose.

Greg Smith

Well, I didn't watch the video before, and now that I did, I'm still unconvinced of the use of this method. Everything you describe can be achieved with zbrush sphere 2 in very little time... (even the animation part if you re-use the zsphere skeleton as a rig in zbrush). And still for animation it looks kinda useless to me, you can animate a low res mannequin, great. Wouldn't it be usefull to have a supporting geometry for extra details ? Retopo ? Integrated bones are useless except for posing here.

Sure it would be nicer to have it behave like it does in their video from the beginning, but 5 minutes top it's all it takes to get the same result in zb... I may be the only one but I don't see the appeal here.

Better initial topology, if nothing else. But, also, closer approximation to the "spherized" shape. Less bother positioning the spheres is also a plus.

This is their "root" technology - and I'm sure they don't plan to stop with just this set of tools.

Let's wait and see. No need to be so defensive of our apps.

Greg Smith