3DCoat Forums

8K texture resolution?

SonK

• Advanced Member

Would it be technically possible to add 8192 X 8192 texture resolution in 3d-brush? Right now, 4K is not enough for my needs, and 16K would be too much lol.

• Advanced Member
4K is not enough for my needs

I really interested to know what you are doing, what project you are working on that 4k is not enough? :blink: (Spiderman 4 or Transformers 2 perhaps) :rolleyes:

You know, AFAIK even multi-billion dollar production\studios working on most complicated projects not often use textures larger then 4k.

IMHO, is like VERY hi levels of sub-d's in sculpting, if you have to use it then rather you are not used lower levels in the right way.

Also as Andrew say, you need at least 750k onboard memory (better 1gb) on some hi-end gaming like 8800 GTX or Quadro card, good ammount of RAM and so on for comfortabily working on project with 8k textures. Not to mention CPU\RAM for rendering such project (could be done on render farm)

• Advanced Member
I really interested to know what you are doing, what project you are working on that 4k is not enough? :blink: (Spiderman 4 or Transformers 2 perhaps) :rolleyes:

You know, AFAIK even multi-billion dollar production\studios working on most complicated projects not often use textures larger then 4k.

IMHO, is like VERY hi levels of sub-d's in sculpting, if you have to use it then rather you are not used lower levels in the right way.

Also as Andrew say, you need at least 750k onboard memory (better 1gb) on some hi-end gaming like 8800 GTX or Quadro card, good ammount of RAM and so on for comfortabily working on project with 8k textures. Not to mention CPU\RAM for rendering such project (could be done on render farm)

Sadly, i only have 512 MB of VRAM <_< But i'm sure studios like Weta use multiple 4K maps(for each part, or multiple UV map), so they are effectively working on more then 4K image resolution. Something bigger on my list of feature request is importing in multiple OBJ, currently 3d-Brush can only handle 1 mesh. I'll need a way to show/hide each mesh(probably using the eye icon also). Maybe the layer pallette can be used to show each mesh, and under it all the texture layers that is being used to texture it?