3DCoat Forums

Newbie Question

Hi to all, excuse for this probably silly newbie question.... but so far didnot find out how to do so and therefore cannot continue with some projects.

It is about importing an detailed sculpted obj file which I made in other program like ZBrush 4.0 or Blender into the Voxelroom. When doing this it appears in the state it actually is but when I enter all details are gone and the model seems to be in a very early stage with no subdivision/resolution. Than I thought I can do another approach, I use the merge-tool to bring the model in the voxel room but even with using the subdivide button the details don't appear as they are. I think it should be possible but I probably do something wrong or I am forgetting something necessairy to do.

Hope someone will help me out here, thanx in advance for your time.

By the way I really love 3DCoat, it is an amazing easy 3D creating program.

Cheers

Hi! Welcome aboard. :)

So to see all of the fine details you've created with polys, you'll need to preemptively increase the resolution of the object/layer in the VoxTree for which you are merging the object to. Don't go too high too soon; Try increasing one step each time (2, 4, 8, etc.) and then merge the object at each step until you get the level of detail you desire. Also be aware that the scale of the object will reflect in memory consumption and detail. Try to scale it up just a little bit to try and capture more details.

The way voxels work are different from polys, for the most part. That is until LiveClay is complete. At which point we'll be able to have local resolution higher/lower than the rest of a sculpture.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! Welcome aboard. :)

So to see all of the fine details you've created with polys, you'll need to preemptively increase the resolution of the object/layer in the VoxTree for which you are merging the object to. Don't go too high too soon; Try increasing one step each time (2, 4, 8, etc.) and then merge the object at each step until you get the level of detail you desire. Also be aware that the scale of the object will reflect in memory consumption and detail. Try to scale it up just a little bit to try and capture more details.

The way voxels work are different from polys, for the most part. That is until LiveClay is complete. At which point we'll be able to have local resolution higher/lower than the rest of a sculpture.

Thanks for your clear answer, I ll keep on 3DC sculpting with pleasure!

Cheers